Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 08:29 PM
    How to share files abd how to create a XP and Vista network
    I have a old XP laptop and recently bought a laptop that has Vista. I have been trying to connect the two laptops - even with the help from HP - but so far unsuccessfully.

I have a netgear router so we tried the wiresless connection first, however, either computer did not appear in the others workgroup. I don't know if I need to change any settings on the computer to have them see each other?

Then I tried it with both laptops connected to the routerwith ethernet cables. In the end (I don't know how I did it) I say the Vista laptop on the XP, but when I clicked on it I was denied access. I still couldn't see the XP on the vista laptop.

Can anyone give advice on how I get them to recognise each other (wireless or via ethernet).

Many thanks for your time.
    rooeus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 01:16 AM

On Vista try to open Control Panel->Network Sharing Centre->"Set up file sharing" and enable it. In my opinion don't be depending on computer icons in Network Neighbours, but better is to connect directly by IP:
    \\x.x.x.x and in dialog enter username+password.

One more tip: Disable NetBios in TCP/IP properties of your WXP, it searches and refreshes your network neighbours by old way, and sometimes can display bad results. It is obsolete protocol.

Rooeus
    Marper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Dear Rooeus, thank you for answering. I tried what you suggested, however, I am not a computer wizz and I was unsuccessful. Especially in connecting via IP - how do I do this?

If you have any additional advice I would be very greatfull.
    rooeus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 11:41 PM

What about ping utility ? Does answer second computer when you try ping x.x.x.x from first computer ?

Rooeus

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Share scanner on network [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all... Tell me that how can I share my scanner which is connected with one of my 5 pc's on Lan. I wants to share scanner for other users can access that scanner while the actual pc/pc user is busy in other work. If in this case any other want to scan the document then they can make...

Create a network [ 2 Answers ]

I have two Pcs installed with Xp SP 2 how can I make a network connection between there :confused: :confused:

Share my files using a vpn [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am trying to setup a private network between two remote computers. Each one of the computers connects to the Internet using a dial-up connection. I am running the windows XP VPN server in the first computer and I establish a VPN over dial-up connection between them. The VPN server...

Need help to share files and printer through Network [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have networked two home computers together and am now having a problem with the sharing of the printer and files. On the first computer (main), I am running Windows XP with a wireless-B Broadband Router and on the secondary computer, I am running Windows 98SE with a wireless USB adapter....

View more questions Search