Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Forever_Ashley Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Father's Rights To His Child?
    I just found out that I am pregnant with my ex-fiance's child. I am 20 and he is 24.

I don't want him to have any rights to the baby. He is a terrible influence and is too immature to take care of a baby. Plus he lives with his mother and she throws horrific temper tantrums over nothing, so I don't want my child in that sort of environment.

If he wants to see the baby, I wouldn't mind it if I was there to supervise the visits, but I don't trust him alone with it.

I do want him to pay child support, but I don't think that he would even if there was a court order for it.

Is there any way that I can make sure that my ex-fiance does not have rights to my child? Or if he has to have rights, is there anyway that I can make sure he is never alone with the child and especially never has it at his mother's house?
    jpothoof Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Oct 24, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Im unsure of some of the questions. But the one about paying child support and not seeing the child. Im pretty sure he doesn't have to pay child support if he does not have visitations with the child. However that's my past experience it could be different for different states and situations. I guess you will just have to take him to court. In order for him to have supervised visits I'm sure you would have to prove to the court that he needs to be supervised.

I know this information is vague but I hope it helps a little.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 11:32 AM

If you do not tell him the child is his and unless he tries to insist on a paternity test, and if you do not list him as the father on the birth certificate how will he know the baby is his?
    jpothoof Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Oct 24, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Comment on 450donn's post
    I agree but that means no child support. But it would mean safety of your child.
    Forever_Ashley Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 05:06 AM
    I talked it over with my family and decided that I'm just not going to name him on the birth certificate.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 03:38 PM

If you don't name on the birth certificate then it would make it harder for you to collect child support. If you want to collect child support and his name isn't listed on the birth certificate then you slow the process down to collect because a dna test would've to be done and once he is proven to be the father his name will be added to the birth certificate. He could just sign the birth certificate at birth acknowledge parternity.

Now if you want child support and a support order judged he does have rights to his child. The only way visitations can be ordered to be supervised I if he is a harm to his child. You can collect child support and not have him see his child. Visitations can be discuss at the time you go for child support and a visitation schedule would be put in place.

In short, if you want child support let his name be on the because because in the end if you file for it, his name is going go on it anyway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 08:44 PM

Well even if he is not on the birth certificate, he can file in court to be proven the father though DNA test. And then ask for joint custody, or visits. Unless there is documented profff he is a danger to the child he will get visits including over night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried Father's rights before and after the birth of the child [ 7 Answers ]

What are my rights, in the state of Texas, as the father of my unborn child before and after it is born? Specifically, does the child take my last name and what visitation rights will I have once its born?

Father's rights to his child without his name on the child birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

The father of my child and I just recently split and now he has to file for a paternity petition to have his name put on her birth certificate. I want to know until that process is complete through the court what parental rights he has to his child?

How do I get father's parenting rights taken away, so my boyfriend can adopt my child [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 6 years and the father of my 2 year old wants to adopt my 9 month old daughter. My boyfriend and I split up for a few months and I was with someone else, got pregnant. 2 weeks after the baby was born, her biological father took off. He has contacted me once when she was 3 months...

Father's rights for Child Support [ 2 Answers ]

My son's mother left me almost 6 years ago and I did not know where she was. I tried everything to get in contact with her or her family and had no luck. I had no contact with her or my son for almost 5 years. Since she left and did not let me know where she went or was will I have to pay back...

Child support/custody/father's rights [ 7 Answers ]

Ha... spoken like two women scorned by men who don't love them.

View more questions Search