Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuvMovement Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 02:25 PM
    125% Income Requirement
    Hey Guys,

My girlfriend and I want to get married. I am an international student and she is a citizen. The problem is her family is against the union and she just started law school and is unemployed and won't meet the 125% income requirement. What options do I have if her family is unwilling to support me?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 10:32 AM

Why don't you maintain your student visa until graduated, by that time if they see you as a decent, honest, reliable person, they may change their attitude.

125% of poverty guidelines is not much... if she is not eligible now, better wait until her financial situation is more secured.
    LuvMovement Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 03:17 PM

I'm sorry for not being clear. I have graduated and my OPT just expired (on Monday). My employer was going to sponsor me and a few others, but due to the recent events in the economy they decided instead to lay off people (was told a week ago). Decided to go back to graduate school then found out my parents don't have the financial resources to accomplish this. My girlfriend and I discussed this and decided we should get married now instead of our plan for when I was professionally and financially secure.

Her father has made it clear that they will not support her decision to marry me. Her mother and I get along great but she is a home maker and will not challenge her husband who is the bread winner. They are polite to me but have made it clear they have always wanted her to marry within her ethnicity. Her siblings and I get along very well but they are in college (if that helps).

Is there any other way to satisfy the Financial Affidavit of Support if she has no job and her parents aren't willing to support us?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099s requirement [ 1 Answers ]

Is a 1099s required for the tax sale by county sheriff of real prop seized from drug dealer?

Pay requirement [ 4 Answers ]

If some one works there 40hrs and there on the schedule for 48hrs should the extra 8hrs be paid like time and a half? Or just the regular pay?

Landlord Requirement on A/C [ 17 Answers ]

Is the landlord required to provide air conditioning in a rental home?

View more questions Search