Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pitty mama Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Do fish get fat?
    I have 2 mollies and a plattie. My white molly has gotten quite fat. Can they gain weight if over fed or do you think it's pregnant? I didn't ask at the pet store if I was buying males or females and the 2 mollies were out of different tanks. The black and white one has stayed the same size and so has the plattie but my white mollie is really big around the tummy and front of the body.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 22, 2008, 12:13 PM

Normally a fish just gets larger and larger as long as it lives. An unbalanced diet could cause it to put on more weight, but goldfish the males tend to look long and lean, the females look short and round. She probably is carrying eggs. They normally lay the eggs on rocks or plants like chickens lay eggs, then the male fish fertilizes them there. They don't give birth to live young the way guppies do.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pitty mama View Post
    i have 2 mollies and a plattie. my white molly has gotten quite fat. can they gain weight if over fed or do you think it's pregnant? i didnt ask at the pet store if i was buying males or females and the 2 mollies were out of different tanks. the black and white one has stayed the same size and so has the plattie but my white mollie is realy big around the tummy and front of the body.
    Your fish is more than likely pregnant. Mollies are livebearers and DO give live birth to their babies and are always pregnant when bought from a store
    Because they are usually mixed with males at some point in their life.
    They have the ability to store sperm also and can still have babies if no longer being kept with males.
    You can tell the difference between all live bearing fish by the shape of their anal fin (the fin on the under side of their belly).
    A female will have a triangular anal fin.
    Picture of a female molly, you can see the shape of the fin.Name:  111molly.JPG
Views: 146156
Size:  13.7 KB

__________________________________________________ _________

The males have a gonopodium which stays tucked in on the under side of the belly unless they're trying to mate.
    In that case they will follow the female fish around pointing it at her so to speak.
    Picture of a male molly with a gonopodiumName:  1male%20molly.JPG
Views: 97762
Size:  34.1 KB

__________________________________________________ __________

Livebearers will eat their babies, so having a lot of good hiding places or a birthing container and a baby net will help with their survival.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 28, 2008, 12:57 PM

Wow that's adifferent fish from what we always called mollie, the goldfish with the protruding eyes. Sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is my fish doing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have 3 cichlids and lately when I come into my room to feed them I notice that my blue one will swim up to my red one and the red one will start to almost shake. It almost looks like it's having a seizure. They don't ever look like they're fighting, although I know that cichlids are aggressive...

My fish [ 8 Answers ]

I have a black moor that lays down in its aquarium. Is it supposed to do that? :confused:

There are no fish under the ice. [ 6 Answers ]

A blonde wanted to go ice fishing. She’d seen many books on the subject, And finally getting all the necessary tools together, she made for the ice. After positioning her comfy footstool, she started to make a circular Cut in the ice. Suddenly, from the sky, a voice boomed, “THERE ARE NO...

Big Fish [ 3 Answers ]

:( I'm having a hard time with my fish tank and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about fresh water Angelfish? They are getting sooooooooooo big and I've only had them about 8 months. I have a 47 gallon tall tank. Thanks

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search