Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Halloween, Anyone?
    We might have had this discussion before - if so, sorry for bringing it up again.

Anyway, I read this article today: Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? -- CBN.com Spiritual Life

And am curious as to what the Christians on AMHD do for/about Halloween? In the above article it is a holiday to be ignored, as it promotes witchcraft. Do any of you feel that way? A church in my local area (one of the biggest, actually) holds an annual "Trunk-or-Treat" in their parking lot where parents park their cars all around the lot, and kids go car to car getting candy. Does anyone here view that as a non-Christian thing to do? If your church did such a thing, would you stop attending?

I really am curious about this; I'm not trying to bait anyone or start a flame war. I'm curious because I think Halloween is a fun time for kids to dress up and get candy and stay out late - nothing more. Then again, I'm a godless heathen, so I'm sure no one is surprised I see no harm in it! :D

Oh, and I welcome responses from people of all faiths and no faiths.

Looking forward to your responses/comments...
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Oct 22, 2008, 10:25 AM

I think that every holiday is celebrated for reasons within each of us. If I light candles and make potions and chant every October 31st, then yes I think that I am acknowleding witchcraft. If I dress up and dress my kids up and go trick or treating around the neighborhood for candy, no I am not condoning witchcraft. When you actually go back and read how halloween originated it goes all the way to the roman catholics as well as in Ireland. It originally had nothing to do with witchcraft at all, below is an excerpt of one such article that I found for you:

During the Middle Ages (about 600 years ago), the Roman Catholic Church at that time, decided to make the change-over from pagan religion to Christianity a bit easier, and therefore allowed the new converts to maintain some of their pagan feasts. It was agreed, however, that from now on they would be celebrated as "Christian" feats. So instead of praying to thwir heathen gods, they would now pray to, and remember the deaths of saints. For this reason the church decided to call November 1 the "Day of All Saints," and the mass to be celebrated on that day "Alhallowmass." In consequence of this, the evening prior to this day was named, "All Hallowed Evening" which subsequently was abbreviated as "Halloween." In spite of this effort to make October 31 a "holy evening," all the old customs continued to be practiced, and made this evening anything BUT a holy evening!
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Oct 22, 2008, 01:34 PM

While it is true that many 'holidays' and traditions may originally stem from religious beliefs (i.e. Christmas, or Easter) - I don't see Halloween as anything more than a fun time for children and adults. It's a dress-up, make-believe day filled with sugary treats! Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the origins of the holiday. I've heard that long ago, gourds and pumpkins and squash were hollowed out and carried around with candles inside them - this seems accurate, for a couple of reasons: candles blow out in the wind - so a flame requires something to protect it from snuffing out; squash, gourds and pumpkins are abundant in large numbers during harvest time (autumn); and the sun sets earlier in the fall, (becomes dark much sooner in the day) - there is a need for a light source to see your way around. Back before gas and electricity, humans used candles and fire. As for the saints of the dead - there could be some truth to the Christianity vs. Pagan traditions or rites of passage.

I don't think this day should be frowned upon by Christian religion. I feel sorry for those children who can't participate in the fun.

Some people need to let go. Religion can be wonderful, but it can also be the source of many disagreements.

This is not really an answer, just my two cents.
    A question for the person / people who don't agree with celebrating Halloween: "what it is you fear about it?" What is it about this holiday that threatens or takes away from their belief system? Can't they be faithful and practice their religion, while embracing a fun-filled child-friendly day of dress-up and make-believe?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 01:52 PM

Being a Godless Heathen myself, I think that all holi-days are about eating, dancing, expressing love and spirituality and having fun. In doing so you are celebrating your part in life on earth.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. I also don't understand what there is to be afraid of, but, as I said, I'm a godless heathen, so maybe I don't "get it".

My mom's neighbors used to forbid their children from participating in Halloween; they are devout Christian (even though the oldest daughter got knocked up before she was 18 by one guy, and knocked up before she was 20 by a different guy... ) and felt Hallowen was not suitable for their kids. The first year they moved in, all of the kids sat in the big bay window at the front of the house looking out, with sad faces, as their neighborhood friends collected candy. It was really pitiful. The next year? They participated, just like everyone else!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 06:29 PM

Little kids dressing up like a star war or a princess or a bunny or even a monster has nothing to do with witches or black magic.
    One may trace some ancient root to something but it is just kids hitting adults up for free candy. If we have anyone to blame it is the cany companies for what we have today.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 06:51 PM
    True there are people/churches that believe that Halloween is about witchcraft. There are also those that believe that you shouldn't watch or read Disney stories for the same reasons.

I would never tell anyone else what to believe or how to raise their kids. However, it is my opinion that there is nothing wrong with a little "make believe". Using the imagination is good. I think if you are participating in Halloween from that point of view - then great, have fun.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I ignore the history behind Halloween.
    To me, it means nothing.
    I don't feel the origin of Halloween is relevant in this day and time anyway - others still do and I respect that.

Halloween to me is just a night where my kids and I can dress up, act silly, eat candy, carve pumpkins
    And have fun together, just doing something out of the norm - that's what I'm celerbrating...

For those who still read deeper into it than others and choose not to
    Celebrate (whether it be religious or personal) or those who choose alternatives, I say that's great too.

We all should do what works for us and makes us comfortable...

But for me personally, I enjoy that one crazy night out of the year spent with my kids.
    Not because of the origin, but because its something I can enjoy with my children.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Oct 22, 2008, 08:55 PM

I celebrate Samhain on Halloween as that is the traditional day. However, I believe that the holiday has been changed over many years, and it has become 'Christian friendly'. I celebrate a different way than most families do. Growing up in a Christian family has abled me to look at the holiday from different perspectives and I believe that the holiday is what you make it. Samhain to me is Halloween to you,
    To see info on it's traditional roots
    Samhain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I've read it and all information is accurate
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 10:18 PM

Halloween Is an evil holiday. We never partake. Instead, we sacrifice a few puppies, get drunk and smear the blood all over ourselves. We then have a wild bloody orgy until sunrise at which time we stare at the sun and pray to the great sun god until we pass out from exhaustion.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 11:42 PM

Magprob said it! That's where the fear comes from! It's okay to be an angel or a bunny though!
    path Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Oct 28, 2008, 07:34 AM

I too celebrate Samhain (halloween) in a different manner than most. We set a place at our table for all those loved ones that have passed on during the year and we remember the good times with them. I also hand out candy to the children in the neighborhood. These children have no idea what the meaning of Samhain or Halloween is all they know is it is free candy LOL.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by path View Post
    I too celebrate Samhain (halloween) in a different manner than most. We set a place at our table for all those loved ones that have passed on during the year and we remember the good times with them.
    That sounds like a beautiful and meaningful tradition. I have never heard of this... do many people practice this?
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 03:14 PM

Personally, I think the whole it is "Satan's Day" is stupid. Everyday is Satan's day. I have been a Christian for many years and I have always enjoyed dressing up and decoration. I have Christian neighbors that think that I am wrong. Too each his own. It is our culture and I love it.

I have boys... you can only dress them up in bunny's and clowns for so long.. they want to be scary too.. I let them... big deal. Let them have fun. It never hurt me one bit.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob View Post
    Halloween Is an evil holiday. We never partake. Instead, we sacrifice a few puppies, get drunk and smear the blood all over ourselves. We then have a wild bloody orgy until sunrise at which time we stare at the sun and pray to the great sun god until we pass out from exhaustion.
    That's what I do!!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 29, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab View Post
    We might have had this discussion before - if so, sorry for bringing it up again.... "Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?"
    Well... "should"??

I would think more along the line that everyone should make up his or her own mind on that. For some it is some devilish idea, for the majority it is fortunately just fun for the children...

If Christians in general would spend as much energy and time on improving their own approach towards others as some of them spend here on intolerant behaviour, heaven would exist, just here on a peacefull earth...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 07:18 PM

Credendovidis,

Yes, THAT must be why we don't have heaven on earth... it is because of the Christians and their "approach and intolerant behavior". LOL LOL

You might want to try reading your own posts. Not only are you intolerant, but you lack in the "approach" towards others as well. Bummer. Jesus said something I have always thought interesting AND is applicable even for an athesist like yourself... he said... (and I paraphrase)... Dude, get the stinkin LOG out of your OWN eye before you try to get the splinter out of mine. Got to love that. How's about that for "approach" huh?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 29, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    "Dude, get the stinkin LOG out of your OWN eye before you try to get the splinter out of mine".
    Yes I know the quote very well : a simpleton's version of Matthew 7:3.
    But what I stated related to Halloween and the hypocrisy and the neurotic reactions by some "christians" on that event.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 07:48 PM

Credendovidis,

Ahh well I made it a "simpleton" version just for you. I thought you could use it dumbed down a bit if you think that Christians are what is causing the lack of heaven on earth.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Oct 29, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob View Post
    To each his own ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How old is to old to go out for halloween? [ 8 Answers ]

I was listening to the radio this morning and the people on their were saying that they think that trick or treating should be 12 and under. Im just curious as to what others think. Personally I think people should be allowed to do trick-or-treating up until I say about age 18. As long as the...

Halloween Ideas [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for good Halloween ideas for this year. Example: Last year I set up a doll/mannequin with a styrofoam head along with an array of halloween decorations. Then ran a garden hose from from an air tank. To a copper pipe inside the styrofoam head. Then I sit twenty feet away in disguise of...

Too Old for Halloween? [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ten Signs That You’re Too Old for Trick or Treating 10. You get winded from knocking on the door. 9. You have another kid chew the candy for you. 8. You ask for high fiber candy only. 7. When someone...

Halloween [ 6 Answers ]

Well, it's getting close to Halloween and I'm thinking of paying a local kid to egg the houses of people that bother me. Could get expensive for the eggs, though. But wouldn't this be great for my mental health?

Halloween [ 3 Answers ]

When was halloween first started and why?

View more questions Search