Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Who is asleep in Christ?
    Why Are we told to be Watchful ? And might we be counted accountable? Will you fall asleep in Christ?

Luke 21:35-36 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 06:37 AM
    I'd LOVE to answer it but it will fall on deaf ears. Jesus didn't say that to YOU.. he said that to the JEWS! That my friend was NOT written to the Church. That is written for the Jews and specifically the ones that shall be on the earth during the tribulation period.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    I'd LOVE to answer it but it will fall on deaf ears. Jesus didn't say that to YOU..he said that to the JEWS! That my friend was NOT written to the Church. That is written for the Jews and specifically the ones that shall be on the earth during the tribulation period.
    The difference in what we believe seems to always reflect what is taught as religion by man of the church, and what is reality of Flesh in" THE WORD"

I believe all that is written was given so we could learn from example. So open eyes and ears to hear, was spoken of throughout the scriptures. Note: 1 Corinthians 10:1-11

As for whether it applies to us? Yes all that is written applies. Understand how one might falls asleep is important.
    I Thessalonians 4:13
    But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

So please feel free to voice your answer to the questions.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 09:37 AM

Snd,

First I didn't say that what is written didn't apply to us. It wasn't written to us... it is for the Nation of Israel.. sorry learn to read your Bible. I want to know what is going to happen and the signs of the end times... Jesus spoke about them. It is for me but not written to me. Why is that concept so foreign to you? Jesus simply is not talking to the whole wide world there. He is speaking to the JEWS. I don't care how you slice it. Now, can the whole wide world pick the Bible up and read it. OH YES.It is what he is telling the 12 disciples is going to happen and what the nation of Israel can expect. When the Apostle paul writes to Husbands... who is he talking to the wives? NO! He is talking to the husbands.. does that mean it isn't for the wives to know and read? NO, it just is instructions for the husband.

Concerning those which sleep. That is simply The Apostle Paul saying those who have died in Christ. ( course I'm sure that answer will be WRONG! In your twisted version)

And fyi... I don't understand your taught as religion by MAN. WHAT? No man taught this... Jesus simply is not talking to the church in the gospels. He came to the Nation of Israel and he is speaking and dealing with them. Hey, you don't have to be a scholar to understand this. You just have to rightly divde with word. You don't and therefore you are constantly mixing law with grace and THAT is the difference between us.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Snd,

first i didn't say that what is written didn't apply to us. It wasn't written to us...it is for the Nation of Israel..sorry learn to read your Bible. I want to know what is going to happen and the signs of the end times...Jesus spoke about them. It is for me but not written to me. why is that concept so foreign to you? Jesus simply is not talking to the whole wide world there. he is speaking to the JEWS. I don't care how ya slice it. Now, can the whole wide world pick the Bible up and read it. OH YES.It is what he is telling the 12 disciples is gonna happen and what the nation of Israel can expect. When the Apostle paul writes to Husbands...who is he talking to the wives? NO! he is talking to the husbands..does that mean it isn't for the wives to know and read? NO, it just is instructions for the husband.
    Did you note 1 Corinthians 10:1-11 which are words written that speak of all that is written concerning them? It was done as an example for us. God said he did not want us ignorant of this. All these condescending remarks to try and mock my belief in scripture is not necessary. You either agree or don't agree.. And both of us can discern our determined right or wrong without placement of stumblingstone on the other's belief. I happen to apply all that is written as reality. To every word that is written is an example as to what will come.

Concerning those which sleep. That is simply The Apostle Paul saying those who have died in Christ. ( course i'm sure that answer will be WRONG! in your twisted version)
    Well from what has been told in scripture, we died in Christ when we are baptized. Which then allows us to rise in resurrection as Christ did. (Romans 6:4)

And fyi...i don't understand your taught as religion by MAN. WHAT? No man taught this...Jesus simply is not talking to the church in the gospels. He came to the Nation of Israel and he is speaking and dealing with them. Hey, you don't have to be a scholar to understand this. You just have to rightly divde with word. You don't and therefore you are constantly mixing law with grace and THAT is the difference between us.
    Your discernment of my belief of law and grace is your opinion.

My opinion is that the grace of God is Jesus, and also grace is God's love. Noted of course, that love was given to us in Christ. (Romans 5:1-2 Romans 5:9 Romans 5:15)
    The law is the lamp of Christ's light. We walk in that light and not in darkness. (2 Sa 22:29 Psalma 119:105 Proverbs 6:23)

Also note that faith without law is void (Romans 3:31 James 2:20)

Back to the question who is asleep? It would be those who continue to watch that the thief doesn't break in. Staying ready for the return of Christ. The servant of God who understands the signs, will not be deceived by satan. The scripture examples Christ at one time treated as the thief. (Mark14:48) But the journey ahead will be different. And sleep was an the example shown in his disciples weakness. Note: Mark 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

Matthew 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
    Matthew 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
    Matthew 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
    Matthew 24:46 Blessed [is] that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing
    The Book of Mark also included the warnings in similar matter

Mark 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.

So you may disagree, Yet there is so much more within what is written to see with open eyes and ears. I watch for Christ, and what each word can hold as the bitter and sweetness written in His glory.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 01:38 PM

I'm just trying to explain in the simplest way I know how to.how you should read the Bible so that you can rightly divide it and have a better understanding of it. And fyi.. your eyes and ears are sooo closed here. You must understand.. I love the Lord Jesus, I love his Word... ALL of IT! I don't pick as you imply. Not ever!

Back to the question... You would be wrong. He is speaking of those who have died in christ a physical death.. not spiritual.

Hey look on the bright side... at least we both think the Lord Jesus is God, he died and rose on the third day. So we have more in common than many people. :)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 01:59 PM
    classyT,
    Jesus taught he followers (mostly Jews) what He wanted them to know and what He wanted them to teach to the world. He told them that.
    What Jesus taught by word and deed were for the world to know not Just the Jews.
    The bible tells us that fact.
    Peace and kindness.
    Fred
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Oct 22, 2008, 02:16 PM

sndbay... I agree with you, that we should be watching. I'm not sure that people understand what that means, though. Like, should they be looking up to the sky, or what?
    What I think it means, is to be listening intently to god, and reading his word, attempting to repent from sin, and beginning to understand god's will in our lives.
    If we're in touch with god's will, through his spirit in us, we can have a sense of direction, and of impending movement. We can better sense the signs that might show before his prophecy happens.

Regarding bible interpretation, just as you, I see trends and patterns in what is written, that come together and make a spiritual picture for me to see and follow. We can also learn from the mistakes and lessons of the past. I look for the mind of god between the lines.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Oct 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
    We don't exactly know who they are that have fallen "asleep in Christ"... because we don't know the heart of each of those who have died.

The warnings to be watchful are directed to all Christians so that we don't get weary and snooze on the job which God has given us while still on earth.

Looking at all the warning passages, there are dangers listed in the Bible which tell us what to look out for:

Matt 26:41
    41 "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
    NIV

Matt 24:49-51
    50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    NIV

Luke 21:34-36

34 "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. 35 For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36 Be always on the watch , and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."
    NIV

Phil 3:2-4

2 Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil, those mutilators of the flesh. 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence.
    NIV

2 John 7-9

7 Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    NIV
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Redergade,
    Right you are.
    When you think about it the prayer of Saint Teresa of Avila fits here about not being weighed down with cares of this world and not being ready when Jesus come again.
    It is...
    Never worry. Never fear. All things are passing..
    Only God matters.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 06:28 PM
    sndbay,
    It is my hope and prayer that I fall asleep in Christ.
    At my age of 75 and a sick man with diabetes the end of this moral life is nearer than that of many others.
    I have worked to leave this world a better place than before I was born and I have been a life long Christian growing in that faith over the years, but never as good a one as I hope and worked to me.
    Thank God for His infinite and perfect lpve and mercy.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Oct 22, 2008, 08:33 PM

You sound like paul:
    Phl 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that in nothing shall I be put to shame, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether by life, or by death.
    Phl 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Phl 1:22 But if to live in the flesh, --[if] this shall bring fruit from my work, then what I shall choose I know not.
    Phl 1:23 But I am in a strait betwixt the two, having the desire to depart and be with Christ; for it is very far better:
    Phl 1:24 yet to abide in the flesh is more needful for your sake.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 09:11 PM
    cogs,
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Would that I could emulate the saints that have passed on to glory.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 23, 2008, 12:08 AM

arcura, you're still abiding here, so that's better for us than paul. You, as well as us, can benefit from wisdom and grace of god through you.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    classyT,
    Jesus taught he followers (mostly Jews) what He wanted them to know and what He wanted them to teach to the world. He told them that.
    What Jesus taught by word and deed were for the world to know not Just the Jews.
    The bible tells us that fact.
    Peace and kindness.
    Fred
    Couldn't agree with you more. However when he is talking to the twelve in Luke ( the scripture that Snd quoted... he is speaking to the nation of Israel and what they can expect during the tribulation period. Will the whole world be affected? You bet... but those verses are for Israel.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    sndbay,
    It is my hope and prayer that I fall asleep in Christ.
    At my age of 75 and a sick man with diabetes the end of this moral life is nearer than that of many others.
    I have worked to leave this world a better place than before I was born and i have been a life long Christian growing in that faith over the years, but never as good a one as I hope and worked to me.
    Thank God for His infinite and perfect lpve and mercy.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Remember alway faith brings us through everything. Power in Christ name. These days will not be unlike the attempts to deceive Eve in the beginning.

We are told everything, and should listen/ears and read/eyes all that is written. We are servants for God and believe in His grace/love/Christ.

Because understand Fred that scripture says as a thief in the night/satan will come.

THE Lords Day comes as fast as lighting, and as HIS brightness. Because the stars, and sun will not show light, and the mood as blood. We will not need any light other then Christ, so stay in His light.

You will have no fear of satan, when you believe in Christ. I want you to realize that it is also written not to doubt or say this time will not come. Or that anyone does not have to be a watchful servant.

Do Not! Matthew 24:48-49 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;24:50-51 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cogs View Post
    sndbay... i agree with you, that we should be watching. i'm not sure that people understand what that means, though. like, should they be looking up to the sky, or what?
    Yes for signslike the sun and stars but there are many written warning to help us. The Lords Day the sun and stars fall from the sky and give no light. Thats because Christ comes as the Brightest Light and like lighting. (written in scripture)
    Note: Matthew 24:29-30 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

what i think it means, is to be listening intently to god, and reading his word, attempting to repent from sin, and beginning to understand god's will in our lives.
    if we're in touch with god's will, through his spirit in us, we can have a sense of direction, and of impending movement. we can better sense the signs that might show before his prophecy happens.
    Understand that we are servants to His word. God loves us and has offered us HIs Son (body and blood) which equals forgiveness and The Word. We eat of both, and believe in both. His Will be done! Yet as servant God tells us, we are put to watch our house (family) so that satan(as the thief) can not deceive any in to worshipping him and steal our gift from God.

regarding bible interpretation, just as you, i see trends and patterns in what is written, that come together and make a spiritual picture for me to see and follow. we can also learn from the mistakes and lessons of the past. i look for the mind of god between the lines.
    So true, my mind seems to never stops thinking of THE WORD throughout my day. Each day end, I thank God for what comes to the mind in thought of scripture. It is a prayer answered to the request of God's Will, that would allow wisdom and guidance. Just yesterday, I read of HIS WORDS of three times being towards the fullfill of what is written. Where does that apply? It is like putting a treasure hunt together, because there is more depth to each verse and word then what we may allow in our minds.
    I sometimes wake in the middle of night to find by reading scripture the answer to what my mind found no rest in thinking. Praise the Holy Spirit for His part in comfort..
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by revdrgade View Post
    Thank you for those scripture pointing to being a servant and watchfull to THE WORD They confirmed how we must believe in scripture as the Flesh of Christ as well.

Matt 24:49-51
    50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

This is alittle difficult to follow when quoting between scripture,as this is concern the servant that does not hear and goes about telling others they do not have to worry concerning all that Christ says directed related to THE LORD DAYS. KJV

Do Not is the message! Matthew 24:48-49 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
    Matthew 24:50-51 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;And shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

2 John 7-9

7 Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    NIV
    2 John 7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. JKV

This does mean that we have deceivers present with us on earth. And they do not believe in the flesh of Christ. This disbelief can be in the bible, and also disbelief of Christ being the son of God put on earth, and that the bible itself is the flesh of Christ,that which we eat by taking in to our mind and soul "Choice".

2 John 8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. KJV

Note it say to look to yourself (meaning to discern the truth) so that you may have what God will give in eternity.

Very good warning of Good and Bad that results, and why we must Watch as servants.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
    sndbay,
    Thanks for that.
    I am watchful and I pray the Lord's Prayer this way "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done of earth as is is in heaven please make it so soon"
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 11:52 AM

What Christ did for us wasn't easy.. But did He question God? NO!!!

Do we walk in Christ? Do we pick up the cross and think it will be easy? No !!!

The evil of this world is obvious, and it rises everyday to more and more liberal thinking. Laws were made to protect and guides us. Or why have we laws?

Throughout the scriptures we are told to be watchful and ready. And don't believe at the last minute you can supply yourself with the oil in that lamp.
    Matthew 25:3-4 They that [were] foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

It becomes to late for the foolish.

Matthew 25:8-10 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, [Not so]; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

Matthew 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

THE LORDS DAY coming with His angels:

Matthew25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

Matthew 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Over the week/while you were asleep [ 10 Answers ]

Over the weekend Obama's website was cleared of long standing criticisms of the troop surge have been removed and his claim that the surge would produce no progress has disappeared. Wake up America: Barack Obama Backtracks and Scrubs His Website Of Surge Criticisms

My kitten is always asleep [ 1 Answers ]

I got a 9 week old kitten yesterday and since then all it has done is lie in the floor and sleep. Help me, and what shall I do??

Old dog peeing when asleep [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is going on 12 years old. Today, she seems to have urinated while sleeping. But, she didn't seem to have noticed what she had done. I know she's getting old, and like people, it'll be harder to control your bladder muscles. Is there any suggestions on how I can help her? I let her out a...

How can I get my 7 month old to fall asleep himself [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old baby boy who won't go to sleep on his own I haveto hold him until he falls asleep otherwise if I put him in his cot awake he screams for along time until I pick him up any suggestions on how I can fix this problem quickly and happily...

View more questions Search