Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Basement framing over 1x3
    Looking to redo a couple semi finished rooms in my basement. One of the rooms is already finished with 1x3 furringstrips and paneling. I plan on removing the paneling but what about the furring strips? They are attached to masonary walls with nails. If I start ripping them out won't that do a lot of damage to my mortar joints? Should I just take out the paneling and frame over the 1x3's?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 07:17 PM

Is this a pour concrete basement of cement block?
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 07:55 PM

It's cement block.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2008, 08:14 PM
    I would start by checking the studs for plumb with a level and see if most are plumb.

Next run a sting line through the center of the wall the see if they line up pretty good.

If they do you can use them. If they do not line up, you can sister new 2x4 studs along the 2x3's and line them good each way.

Once you have a wall that is good up and down and side to side, you can proceed with insulation, electric and drywall.

good luck Roger
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 07:20 PM

OK ablock wall, you can just assume it is out of level and plumb, they always are. The nails should not be in the mortar line but I would just leave them in place an abandon them. A proper wall is a stud wall laid out on the floor with a pressure treated floor plate. Once the wall is built it is raise upright and shimmed plumb, level matter less on a basement wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing over new concrete on basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having an interior drainage system and sump pump installed under my basement floor, and they will be pouring new concrete today to replace what was removed (which was quite a lot). I was planning to start framing as early as this weekend on a portion of the basement, since I took out all the...

Framing basement wall [ 6 Answers ]

How do I secure wood framing to a concrete wall or floor?

Interior Door Framing - Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I've framed around the exterior walls of my basement. I will be framing a partition wall in a few weeks which will include framing for interior doors. My plan is to buy pre-hung doors, I have seen they only come in one standard height - which would require a framing height of 82 1/2". My problem...

Basement framing question [ 3 Answers ]

I have a rough in for a basement bathroom and have a few questions... 1. If I am going to put a shower enclosure in, should I frame behind it or just have plastic moisture barrier against the concrete with the fiberglass enclosure over that?

Wood or Metal framing for my basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement. My question is whether I should use wood or metal for the stud walls. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and, while researching the price of lumber and the metal studs, I discovered that there...

View more questions Search