Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    motivated Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Somewhat stressing.
    Would a convicted felon prevent a surgical technologist graduate from taking the exam to become certified? My conviction is accessory to felony theft and this happened in 1998. I would also like to know if there is anyone out there that may know of some facilities that would work with convicted felons if the felony is over a certain time frame.

Oct 28, 2008, 12:20 PM

Is there anyone out there who may have information on surgical technologist?
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Oct 28, 2008, 12:23 PM

A lot of felonies, if they are non violent are taken into account, but then overlooked after 5-10 years depending on the offense. Of course this may not hold true for the situation in which you are inquiring, but it may give you some hope.
    Good luck.
    Also, you may be able to get a judge to lower the charge to a misdemeanor of some sort. It's worth a shot.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Most hospitals will not hire a felon, most medical programs will require a background check prior to even starting class.

Oct 29, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
    Alot of felonies, if they are non violent are taken into account, but then overlooked after 5-10 years depending on the offense. Of course this may not hold true for the situation in which you are inquiring, but it may give you some hope.
    Good luck.
    Also, you may be able to get a judge to lower the charge to a misdemeanor of some sort. It's worth a shot.
    This is a non violent felony. I was actually an accessory... when you say that I can get the judge to lower the charge to a misdemeanor is that what they call expunging of records or sealing of records? This according to some research that I have conducted, would be considered a crime of moral turpitude because it was theft. Since this has happened, I have actually had the opportunity to manage a store, but decided that I wanted to pursue a career. Anyway thank you for taking out the time to answer my question.

Oct 29, 2008, 11:39 AM

I'm not a law expert by any means, and have little "personal" experience. From family who've had trouble with the law, I can say that certain judges in Washington State, (I don't know what state you are in), and depending on charges, length of time since occurrence, current record since offense, and willingness to work with court in proceedings, charges can be lowered. I'm not saying "giving up" someone else. That's not it at all. I'm talking about cooperating with sentencing, community service, restitution payments made on time, that sort of thing.
    Of course... It will depend on what state you are in.
    "expunge"ing of records or sealing records is something altogether different... I think.
    Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Oct 29, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Most hospitals will not hire a felon, most medical programs will require a background check prior to even starting class.
    They never a conducted a background check and I'm really not understanding this... they knew (and I'm sure that they did) that if there were any type of discrepancies that you would not be eligible to take the certifying exam. The thing is that when I first made the decision to go to school here, I actually explained to the recruiting rep. that I had a felony background and that it has been over 7 years. She assured me that it would not be a major factor. Well, I was online just overlooking the Association of Surgical Technologists website and requirements to test and my heart skipped a beat because this would fall under felonies of moral turpitude. So now I feel like not only have I wasted my time, but my money as well. Not only that, I have been out on my clinicals at two different hospitals and haven't been asked to leave but what happens when I am ready to apply for a job? When you say "most hospitals"; does that include the county hospitals as well?
    I really appreciate you providing me insight as to what happens in the "real world". I mean what better person to ask other that an actually RN? Does the fact that I'm in Texas make a difference?

Oct 29, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
    I'm not a law expert by any means, and have little "personal" experience. From family who've had trouble with the law, I can say that certain judges in Washington State, (I don't know what state you are in), and depending on charges, length of time since occurance, current record since offense, and willingness to work with court in proceedings, charges can be lowered. I'm not saying "giving up" someone else. That's not it at all. I'm talking about cooperating with sentencing, community service, restitution payments made on time, that sort of thing.
    Of course...It will depend on what state you are in.
    "expunge"ing of records or sealing records is something altogether different....I think.
    Sorry, I can't be of more help.
    I'm here in Texas. But what I can't understand is that if I won't be able to become employable after going to this school for two years, why wouldn't they tell me of other careers that may be able to work with people in my situation. Why would they have me sign on the dotted line for such a huge government grant knowing that I would be an ineligible candidate once I've completed the program?
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 01:18 PM
    You have already been through school? I'm surprised you were not required to submit to a background check at least prior to clinicals.

Now, as far as the job market, yes you will have to submit to a background check prior to being employed at virtually any hospital.

Oct 29, 2008, 01:22 PM

It is possible that they don't know all the laws, which is a high possibility. Others include, them not caring and only wanting your money, or perhaps they know something we don't. If you are doing an externship, which most vocational schools have you do... I don't know if this is something that you are doing, then depending on hospital protocol, and your performance on the job, your record may not matter. You say you are doing "clinicals", and I'm guessing this is like an externship. Even if the hospitals know of your record, they may not be looking at that right now, but once you actually apply for a job, will require you to get charges lowered to misdemeanor before you can get on.
    There are lawyers out there that will talk to you for free, find one, and just ask the questions. Also, if it was a felony, you probably had a probation officer. Contact him/her, and see what kind of ideas they may have.

Oct 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
    You have already been through school? I'm surprised you were not required to submit to a background check at least prior to clinicals.

Now, as far as the job market, yes you will have to submit to a background check prior to being employed at virtually any hospital.
    Yes, I've already been through school. I'm currently out on my clinicals attempting to meet the number of required scrubbed cases and hours. I'm just about done... but where do I go from here?? Has this all been a waste of my time and is there anything that could be done about this? Believe it or not, this school is actually accredited through CAAHEP. Like I mentioned earlier, I did inform them of my background when I initially applied to go to school here and the rep informed me that I had nothing to worry about. So isn't that misleading information?
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Sounds pretty misleading to me. Do you mind if I ask the name of the school?

Oct 31, 2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks, homebirthmom! I have been so stressed out over this whole thing. For some reason I'm actually hurt over this because I love working in the OR. The surgeons' that I work with have given me so many compliments... I was invited by the plastic surgeon to scrub in on a case with them last night. I really appreciate all the positive feedback that you've taken out time to send... it really means a lot! :)
    Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Motivated, you still have not named the school in question. I may be able to do some checking for you.

Nov 3, 2008, 12:40 PM
    [QUOTE=J_9;1347039]You have already been through school? I'm surprised you were not required to submit to a background check at least prior to clinicals.

Now, as far as the job market, yes you will have to submit to a background check prior to being employed at virtually any hospital.[/QUOTE

Even if it was over 10 years ago? When I did some research on felonies of moral turpitude, theft and shoplifiting were not exactly the same. It went on to state that some companies were willing to work with individuals with theft charges that fall under shoplifiting, opposed to individuals with theft charges that range from embezzelment, fraud, and identify theft. I don't mean to keep bugging you and I do apologize, but for some reason I believe that there just may be a flicker of light at the end of this tunnel.
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 03:03 PM
    There may be a flicker of light, however, most hospitals are very choosy about who they hire due to the privacy of patients rights, the accessibility of medications, theft of medications as well medical supplies which can be a big ticket item in the "black market."

I don't know about where you live specifically, but where I live one must have a squeaky clean record to be employed at virtually any health facility.

Nov 4, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Sounds pretty misleading to me. Do you mind if I ask the name of the school?
    Sanford Brown Institute; Houston Texas

Nov 4, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Motivated, you still have not named the school in question. I may be able to do some checking for you.
    Sanford Brown Institute

Nov 4, 2008, 02:07 PM
    There may be a flicker of light, however, most hospitals are very choosy about who they hire due to the privacy of patients rights, the accessibility of medications, theft of medications as well medical supplies which can be a big ticket item in the "black market."

I don't know about where you live specifically, but where I live one must have a squeaky clean record to be employed at virtually any health facility.
    So do I sue the school for false and misleading information for a profit? Do I contact the federal government, consumer reporting, Texas attorney general?? Where do I go from here?
    Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
    I suggest you research the links here... Sounds like you are just one of many who got taken by this so called school.

complaints about Sanford Brown Institute - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not getting pregnant after the depo and stressing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 21yrs. I got married in July of last year;) and stopped taking the depo in June and my husband and I have been trying since. I was on the depo for about 2years and didn't have my period(I loved that part!) It took 6months for me to get my period and now its been 5months of semi-regular...

Should I be stressing? [ 8 Answers ]

:lol: I had sex last week... are long story short I pulld out rite be4 I nutted and we triping!! The nut came out rite away when I pulled out... should I be tripping?? Help Oh and her period sapposed to start yesterday

Still stressing about mayme being pregnant. [ 22 Answers ]

My mom says it's nothing and I can't be pregnant because it's basically impossible to get pregnant without having sex, but if my ex boyfriend did what I think he did before he fingered me by accident than it's a possibility and yes I have re-read over a lot of colums to come the statement that it's...

Dog eating cat's food and stressing the cat [ 14 Answers ]

I have a dog that seems to like to be the only child. She doesn't like other animals and eats their food possibly in displeasure This is causing the kitten that is now about a year old to not want to eat out of any of the bowls that the dog takes outside or to the garage to steal the food out...

View more questions Search