Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    studentcollage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Kinetic energy lost
    A car of mass M ,traveling with a velocity V, strakes a parked station wagon, whose mass is 2M. The bumpers lack together in this head-on inelastic collision. What fraction of the intitial kinetic energy is lost in thus collision
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 09:54 AM

You should try and solve this yourself first, before simply posting the homewok problem here. However, I will give you a hint - you need to determine the final velocity of the two cars that are stuck together, and to do that you use the principal of conservation of momentum. Then you can determine the final kinetic energy of the 2 cars, and compare it against the initial KE.
    studentcollage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I got 1/9
    Is it right
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 12:00 PM

Not quite right. Please show us your math.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is its kinetic energy [ 1 Answers ]

A body mass of 88kg is moving at a velocity of 13.89m/s. What is its kinetic energy?

The gain of kinetic energy [ 3 Answers ]

Taking a practice ASVAB test and this one has stumped me. HELP!! 14: The gain in kinetic energy if a 400-kilogram satellite moves from a distance of 3 × 106 meters above the surface of the Earth to a point 1.50 × 106 meters above the surface is _______ J. The mass of the Earth is 5.98 × 1024...

Where's My Kinetic Energy? [ 9 Answers ]

My question is very brief but the explanation may be a bit more complex. My question is this: Wherz my kinetic energy?? OK, here is what I am asking about: Let’s say there are two parallel railroad tracks in the desert. I am sitting on one track in a stationary railroad car with a rifle and...

Kinetic energy [ 3 Answers ]

a 5kg rock is dropped from a height of 92m. What is the kinetic energy when the rock is 40m from the ground? I know that the formula is kinetic energy=1/2mv(squared) but I don't have the time so how would I find the speed, v?

Kinetic energy [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good kinetic energy experiments? Thanks much valued:)

View more questions Search