Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 21, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Fireplace Downdraft
    I'm having a downdraft issue with my second fireplace, which is located 2 floors below the main fireplace. I currently have a rain cap on both but think I need a top sealing damper. I did some research and it looks possible to retro fit my existing fireplaces. I had a fireplace guy out and he recommend some kind of turbine, which doesn't seem right to me. Am I on the right track or is my fireplace guy correct? I also considered make-up air to reduce the negative pressure, but I have electric heat and cannot find something that will work in a house with no forced air.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 07:14 PM

Some fireplaces are just more prone to down drafts than others and that turbine won't fix much for you. Can you open a window or outside door just for about 20 seconds while you light your fire and get a fradt started. I roll newspaper into a tube 2' long and light one end, then shove the burning tip up inside the smoke chamber above the damper. See if this help with your issue.

Oct 22, 2008, 06:43 AM

I usually do those things too, except the newspaper thing, I'll give that a shot. My biggest problem is smoking out the downstairs when I have a fire upstairs.

Oct 22, 2008, 07:29 PM

Smoke out the downstairs when you have fire upstairs could be a whole new issue. I thought you just had a difficult time gets the draft started up your chimney. It it drafts up and then gets drawn down the other flue you got trouble. This situation tells me your house is very tight insulation and window wise. When you get a draft started that fireplace may be using the other fireplace for make up air. Individual spring loaded doors may help but you might need to leave a nearby window cracked open until a mason can do an inspection and give a recommendation.

Oct 23, 2008, 06:58 AM

I had a firepalce guy out, but he recommended that turbine which I don't want to put on there. I could ask him to put on the top sealing damper, but I think I will find someone else. A mason is a good idea, I'll try that. I have been keeping a window cracked when I have fires upstairs, but we got snow this week and it is cold, so I can't keep doing that much longer.

Oct 23, 2008, 06:25 PM

You said the 4 letter word, snow. Please don't say that any more, I haven't completely recovered yet. I'd get 2-3 maon to give me a bid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Range - Downdraft Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of putting a slide-in range with downdraft venting in an island in the center of the kitchen. Do I have to vent the downdraft system all the way to the exterior of the house? Can I have it vent to the space in between the floor and ceiling below? Or, do you have a better suggestion?

Installing a Downdraft Stove When there hasn't ever been one.. . [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering how to install a downdraft stove when there hasn't ever been one in the kitchen. If possible I would like to do the installation myself. Thanks! Donna

Downdraft Stove oven element not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Downdraft stove and the lower element has stopped heating up. I have the 'element' but I don't know how to install it. Do you have to remove the stove from the wall? I wouldn't think so, but I can't seem to find a way to install it from 'inside' the stove. Please...

Downdraft stove [ 0 Answers ]

I've just bought a JENN AIR DOWNDRAFT slide in stove and since I live in a pretty rural area I'm having difficulty finding someone who knows how to install them. The connection is already there. What do I do?

View more questions Search