Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    priscilla0821 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
    Can We Lose Our Car?
    My husband recently got a notice of Garnishment for our bank account for a repossession of a car. If he was to file Chap 7 alone, could we lose our current car? I was also on the re-possed car as co-owner but I am not on this one. I am also on disability, so they can not garnish my disability check. We do not even own this car, we are still making payments. We have no other assets, we rent, no jewelry, furs anything. We live hand to mouth. Also if they "freeze" our bank account as I have read they will do, will his pay check still go in automatically or will it be returned?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
    OK, I am lost, you asked if you can lose your car, then you state you no longer have the car?

If you owe money on your car, they will have to reposess the car before they can do anything else. After they repo the car it is no longer your car, they will sell the car and apply the money they get to the amount of the loan, interest, and fees. Normally you will still owe a good bit.

After they sell your auto, they will try to make arrangements with you to pay the balance still owed. If you don't pay that, they will go and get a judgement against you. ( most likely it will be against both of you)

Then they will "attach" any and all bank accounts. If you are on disability, they will freeze your bank accounts, and you will have to prove basically if any of the money there is from your checks, if so how much and so on. Don't expect them to agree that most of it is from your check. But the money will stay froze till they agree or it goes to court and a judge decides how much of the money in the bank they can keep.

And yes he will have to stop his pay check going in, or it will just keep going in and being froze.

Next of course they will get a garnishment also, that will be for his pay check, they can get anywhere from 25 to 50 percent of his pay depending on where you live.
    priscilla0821 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Let me clarify. We have a new car now. They have garnished our bank account for the old car that was re-possed 3 years ago. They got the judgement against my husband because I don't work and have no real income. If my husband files chap 7, will they be able to take the new car as an asset and sell it to pay the old debt, thus leaving us with no car, and no way for my husband to get to work. Our current car would be considered our only asset as we have nothing else.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2006, 06:45 PM
    there are many exemptions ( at least under the old bankruptcy law) it all changed a lot since I was doing any of them a few years ago.

But basically you are allowed certain personal property and the such, if you have a new car and there is a loan on it, it will have to re-certify the loan, since a chapter 7 bankruptcy would involve all debts,

I got to take a class in the new bankruptcy, but my understanding is that you have to try debt counseling prior to being allowed to do a bankruptcy.

And if your new car has a loan on it, it is has no real assest value, since only the difference between its true value and the loan is its value.

But if you are considering bankruptcy, go talk to a bankrutpcy attorney, double check, but most allow the first visit free and will answer most of your questions at that point.
    RAW Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 02:54 AM
    If a vehicle is repossessed by the dealer that sold it to you and resale's the vehicle for more then you owed on the loan, who would be entitled to the extra money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help me lose it [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm brandon and I'm 15. Now I play football and I want to get into rele good shape. Im 5'9 and 160 pounds. I work out and have muscle but I still am not happy with my body. My stomach seems to get huge every time I eat the littlest things and I dotn want to end up making myself throw up just...

Lose weight [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there expert buddy I have problem with my weight, I am 182 lbs.. I have a difficult time waking up in the morning. I used to dance belly dancing, but I stop it.. My friends told me to try to go to GYM, I insist that when I go to GYM, there are tendency that I cannot maintain my routine...

Need some help to lose weight.. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I want some tips to lose weight so please give me efftive tips because I tried many of them doing.. I did many execersie and also started gym but no good result please help me...

Help me get my neighbours out before I lose it [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbour keeps phoning the police on me for noice when she's the one making all of it banging slamming till 3 4 in the morning dog barking all night her partner punched my partner as he was being nice and telling him not to get in the car drunk as he will kill himself we have a sofa if your...

I don't want to Lose kathleen [ 32 Answers ]

My name is Duncan I am 21 years old and my girlfriend is 25 kathleen things happen yesterday night when we were arguing! Actually yesterday I pretty much loss my job! She is a pretty bossy and aggressive type person who easily triggers my emotions she is truly always emotion and cry herself and say...

View more questions Search