Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SPHILLIPS1982 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 02:15 AM
    What is the difference Chapter 7 or Chapter 13?
    And when am I able to purchase a house or a car? I'm a single mom raising 2 little girls wanting to start fresh but I'm curious as to if I file either one of these how long will take me to purchase a house or a new car?
    goreliklaw Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2010, 04:03 PM

Hi,
    This is a complicated question and whether you file a Chapter 7 or 13 will depend on your situation. Generally, Chapter 7 is quicker and "easier" and is a good choice for people who don't have assets they may lose (like a house with lots of equity or an expensive car) or people with low income. Chapter 13, on the other hand, is a good option for people that need to catch up on car payment or mortgage payments, people with an "unsecured" second mortgage and people that don't qualify for chapter 7 based on income or because of a previous filing. As for rebuiliding credit, there are many things you can do after the bankruptcy. No one will be able to tell you exactly when you will be able to finance a car or a house, but for most of my clients, bankruptcy actually improves their credit, because when their debts are discharged and they have a new start they make "better borrowers" than people with outstanding debt.

Hope this helps!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 05:01 PM

Honestly, I'm not picking on you - but this is from October 2008 and the OP has never been back to check for responses.

There are many newer posts where people need help.

I know the site is complicated but you have to keep an eye on the dates.
    goreliklaw Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2010, 05:09 PM

Thanks. I really do appreciate your help while I am apparently stumbling through the process. However, I did find this site only by googling a question someone has previously asked and received an answer for it that was very helpful. While I appreciate the need to respond to people looking for answers right now, I think there is some value to answering an "old" question, since a person looking for the answer right now may have a similar question and may not know about this site or how to register.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 06:39 AM

I don't disagree but that is not Board policy. There are so many new questions every day, people waiting for answers, that spending time on old questions makes little sense, particularly when the OP hasn't come back. Every time an "old" question is answered everyone who responded is notified so "we" all then click on to discover it's an old thread.

If you use the search feature or Google you are in the minority - which you will learn after you've answered the same question for the thousandth time.

When I search I never go back more than a year - laws change, people from years ago may very well have been guessing or else I don't know who they are (unfamiliar names).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you have been through a Chapter 7 . [ 5 Answers ]

We filed bankruptcy a little over two years ago. (Chapter 7) We did re-affirm our home. We have a first and second mortgage. We have tried to sell but with the two mortgages we owe more than it will sell for. Our second mortgage states that they can force a foreclosure. We are not in default yet....

What is the difference in Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

How does that work cause if my settlements end up in a judge emtn that might be my only option can't afford for ym account to be seized or can't feed my kids or pay the few bills I pay now that would just be making a bigger problem.

Chapter 13 [ 2 Answers ]

I have just received notice that the bk court received my last payment and they are now in the process of discharging which takes 60-90 days. We are also selling our house and the title company claims we need to have the discharge paperwork. The court sent us a statement regarding the case was...

Chapter 13 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My mother on chapter 13 and she wants out.She has a lot of equity in her home.But she's Not sure what subprime lender to go with. I also wanted to know, Can I change her house deed in my name?

Chapter 7 [ 1 Answers ]

Can a CH 7 and 13 be removed from ones credit report or do you have to wait the full ten years. I hear several credit repair places make that claim however, I am doubtful.

View more questions Search