Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    genki21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2003, 12:41 PM
    Condo leak
    Hello, about a year ago my bathroom had to be torn down because of a leak from above. I am about to finish remodelling but I can see a leak coming through between the drywall I have in the ceiling. Before I finish patching it up and painting I want to have this fixed.

I went upstairs and it their faucet and bathtub are leaking. They tell me their landlord was informed of it but hasn't fixed it. Their leak doesn't look like it is directly spilling, so there seems to be other issues.

Their landlord came and saw my place and told me I should tear out my ceiling to find the problem. I told her that she can send someone to do this, since it is her leak that is causing this issue. She flat out refused and told me it wasn't her problem. I feel she should at least fix her tenants leaky faucet and see if that helps.

What can I do about this?
    WhiteManagement Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 01:28 PM
    The owner of the unit above you is responsible for all the damages to your bathroom ceiling as well as responsible for fixing the leak that is causing the damage to your unit. Im amazed that the landlord responded that way to you. You definintely have grounds for legal action in this case. I work for a property management company and these types of leaks happen all the time. You should call up your management company and get them involved. I know in a case like this (were the landlord was being difficult) we would send our own plumber over to fix the problem as well as a contractor to fix the ceiling in your unit. Then we would just bill the up stairs owners account for all the work involved. If they refuse to pay then we keep slapping them with late fees. Usually the other party will agree to pay to avoid any legal action.
    dilsmagicworld Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Hi
    I own a condo and left my family live there and I went abroad. For a long time actually since we moved (6 years) we have bath room ceiling leak problem which was never solved by our management. 3 months ago when I was away from home the management came to our apartments and torn one of our bath room wall and told my parents ( who can't speak or understand proper english) our bathtub was causing leak for the two levels below us ( we live in 4th level - so the 3rd and 2nd level apartments below us) not only they left the bath room in a big mess also sent my parents a notice saying we have to fix the problem with in 2 days if not the management will do it on our expense. More over we have to pay for the damage for the lower two levels.
    Now I not only have my bathroom to fix also two apartments below me to fix, and my 2 bathroom ceiling to fix :0 (
    But I heard the other people who live in this condo have same leak problem and complain about the water tubes that goes in between the walls.
    But management is really don't want to pay or involve in anything other than ripping my bathrooms and telling me, moisture caused our ceiling leak... hehehe. That moment I realized person in charge is so stupid and they must have made a mistake about the leak problem. What are my options now ? Any advises ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 06:36 AM

Hello d:

You're going to need the services of a real estate attorney.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water not available on some units in my condo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: I live in a condo where there are 6 units to a building. I recently had to shut off the water supply to the entire building to replace a hot water tap in the kitchen dishwasher as part of a remodeling project (lots of banging, tearing). Now my neighbors downstairs are saying that they...

Offensive Cooking Odors - Condo [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am new here and am looking for advice or experience dealing with offensive odors coming from the condo next door. The folks, although very nice otherwise, are Indian, and they cook several times a day (sometimes all day) with currie. The odor is so strong that I am forced to close all...

California Condo law [ 1 Answers ]

Our condo complex has only four units. The homeowner who managed the financial and clerical aspects of our HOA died a few months ago. When her family put her condo on the market I made sure they were aware of the section in our CC&Rs that states "The Units shall be occupied and used by the...

View more questions Search