Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Billy Barlow Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 08:55 PM
    6 awg al xlpe 600 V
    I just bought a home that has 6 awg al xlpe 600 volts wire running from the home to a shop 200 ft away. It is running from a 100 amp breaker to a sanother panel box at the shop with a main 100 amp breaker. There are presently one 30 amp double pole breakers and 3 each 30 amp single pole breakers in the box at the shop. Is the wire sufficient to carry this much or do I need to change to a larger wire? If so what size do I need. Please be specific as I understand some about electricity but I am not sure what some of the wire types mean.
    Thank You

Billy

6 awg
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Oct 20, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Hi Billy,
    The #6 wire that you have running to the shop is rated for 60 Amps. For 100 Amps you will need to change the wire to a #2 AL, however due to the 200' distance you will experience a significant voltage drop. In order to compensate for this you will need to use a minimum of #1 AL, AWG Quadplex overhead service wire.
    The size and number of circuit breakers in the shop are fine for this size overhead service.
    Don't forget that 30 Amp breakers protect #10 wire, make sure that all of the wiring in the shop is #10 wire
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 04:00 AM
    What are the single pole 30's for? I hope not for regular 15 or 20 amp receptacles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search