Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbls567 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Theft under 5000 but not charged, what will happen
    I was in a store recently and took a sample makeup. They valued the product at the original full size price 10.00. I regret this choice so much.. My questions are 1. I was not charged, police were called but because I have no other incidences, they said I get a warning. Will this show up on a Security Clearance check?

2, They said they were going to bill me, how can they charge me full price for a sample as well as make me pay for their time when they were already there to do the job.

3. Since no convictions or charges, can they ban me from the whole Mall or just that store? And how are they allowed to coerce me into signing these documents saying I agree to the ban and any monetary charges?

Thanks, very scared as I have a job interview and I will need a clearance check run through the police... I am so embarrassed and sad that I made a poor choice just so I could look good for an interview, a job I desparately need.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 07:49 PM

No, unless for some reason they press charges latter, this will not show up on a security check

Because they are allowed to and you should be glad that they are letting this be all that is done, often you get charged and still have to pay it.
    ** they would be doing other work if you had not done this

Yes of course they can ban you, since you were caught doing it, they can ban you from entire mall if they want.

If you don't pay or go back while banned they can still press charges.

Oct 20, 2008, 07:52 PM
    I am very appreciative, it was a stupid stupid choice that I would never have done or will do again. IStress does wonders but I accept responsibility.

Are you sure it won't show up soince the police were called?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 08:13 PM

No, I mean if you run for some national office, there will be some incident report in some file that national news or the person running against you could find.

But if you were arrested, that may be found, if you were convicted that would for sure show up.

But in this case you are a note on a card in a file,
    Throwback24 Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Oct 20, 2008, 08:16 PM

Warnings def. don't show up on Criminal background checks.

Oct 20, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Thank you for your replies and I hope you are a canadian lawyer or legal assistant. I am so embarrassed and can't believe I did this, I guess I am more depressed that I thought..

Thank you again for your replies
    Throwback24 Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Oct 20, 2008, 08:26 PM

I'm not a Canadian lawyer... but I've had my run ins with the laws. One of the very first times I got caught shoplifting I remember being told it wouldn't show up on my record. That's all.
    shienv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 11:46 AM
    But if you are doing a vulnerable sector screening check, apparently it does show up doesn't it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister in law charged with theft under 5000.00 [ 6 Answers ]

My sister in law is being charged with frauding her place of work for theft under 5000.00 I was just wandering being it's her first offence what may be the things she will have to do and I was wandering if this would cause her to go to jail considering she has 4 children. It was a home for special...

Charged with Theft Over 5,000 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I know someone who was arrested for theft of $200,000 but being charged with theft over $ 5,000 I'm just curious what the charges would be from the lowest to highest Canada ont

Charged for theft under $5000 from employer [ 2 Answers ]

So I made a really stupid mistake:( . I work in an electronics store and a few days ago I got caught giving away a couple DVD's to a friend. I had actually done this twice. The first time I got away with, but the second... i got caught red handed. At that time, the Police were called in and...

Theft under 5000$ what will happen? [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently been convicted of stealing two bottles of pills from a pharmacy and I have been summand to go to court in ontario it is theft and possession under 5000$ I have an upcoming trip to egypt and I want to know if having a criminal record will affect me being able to go on my trip I also...

Pregnant and being charged with theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am 8 months pregnant. And being charged with theft under 5000 for taking cash from my till at work. Needless to say it was a stupid thing to do but it was to put gas in my car so I could get to work the next day and to buy food. I was in all honesty just about to put the money back into the...

View more questions Search