Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrw20505 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Lease agreements
    My leaser of my house has been in it for a year. We talked about renewing her lease for another year. We agreed, in front of my dad, on a new monthly payment and term of another year. I emailed her a confirmation of the new monthly price and that it was for another year, as we agreed. A few days later she made her first payment at the increased price. I was concerned that she should get herself a room mate so she could afford the payments and also maybe then I could talk to her about a new lease and a increased price. I'm a softy, we had a good relationship, so I was holding the price down because she was by herself. Two weeks later she emails me that she has found another place and is going to move out in the middle of the month, next month. She says she didn't sign an agreement, so she is not legally bound. I believe the payment at the increased price shows acceptance of my email confirmation of the agreed upon new lease and allows the old contract to continue for the next year. Also, I rent from month to month, not mid month. Is the law 30 days from the monthly lease payment time for notification, in this case 1st to 1st, if I have to abide by month to month laws, now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 04:11 PM

I don't see that she "signed" a new lease she paid a new amount that the new lease would be as part of her month to month.

Your mistake was not to have a new lease printed out, and have her sign it when you agreed. Or at least go over the next day and get it signed.

If you are going to be a landlord you can either be a softy or you can be professional, you can't be both.

Rental notice is normally by the pay period, if rent is 1st to 1st then that is the notice to be given in most areas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease agreements [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house and I am in a lease in an apartment complex. I have been told by some people that when they purchased they were able to get out of their lease. My complex will not let me but what am I to do

Do both the landlord and tenant have to sign a lease agreement?

No lease agreements [ 4 Answers ]

I lived in a rented apartment without the landlord knowing. can they sue me for rent money for a time period i was there or any of the utility bills?

Lease Agreements [ 3 Answers ]

My son moved into a 4 family flat on February 1, 2007. In St. Louis, Missouri. He did NOT sign a lease agreement at that time. The landlord is now asking him to sign a lease. Should my son sign this lease after he has already moved in? My son gave the lanlord the deposit and rent before he...

I recently signed a years lease agreement on a house that I am currently renting. I have been offered a new job in another state and would like to know if the lease can be broken, what happens, and can they sue me?

View more questions Search