Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Oct 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Americorps employment and taxation
    Now their living stipend is just enough to sustain yourself I've heard, my question is will the amount they offer be taxed if the money I make in a year is below the income tax requirement in my state?

Here is what they say on the website: AmeriCorps.gov > Tax Implications

Obviously I've never paid taxes before, I'd appreciate any clarification.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 04:06 PM

Income is taxed but if you earn under the requirements to file you are not required to file.

If taxes are withheld, you can normally file and receive a refund of taxes paid in,

Remember they do not know ( OK maybe they do) but an employer does not know other income you may have as to a total income.

So yes taxes can be due on the money, but if you have to file will depend on total amount of money earned for the year from all sourses and the federal level you have to pay or not pay
    -

Oct 20, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Thanks, I understand.

Does anyone have a familiarity with Americorps? They offer $14,000 for a 12-month term; I assume that is before taxes but I do not know. I'd like to figure out what this comes to per month so as to see if it is sustainable.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 04:34 PM

Yes it is before taxes.

14,000 divided by 12 is 1166 with a few extra cents a month

It works out a week to
    14,000 divided by 52
    Or 269 a week.

It is just basic money to pay living expenses, not to actually make and save money.
    -

Oct 20, 2008, 04:45 PM
    You say it is before taxes, so wouldn't it be considerably less than 1166 / month?
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 04:48 PM

After reading their site, it does not sound like they actually withhold any taxes, but merely give you a W2 on some of the money and a 1099 on the parts that are not taxable.
    -

Oct 20, 2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks for your help. For clarification, what do you believe would be the take home pay when all is settled? I realize it's not a job, but I'm in a lease right now that I have to consider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1B, Taxation and Other [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am a UK citizen that came to the US on an L1B visa in May 2007. Due to a change in circumstances, I will be returning to the UK as my employment base in October, but still working for my US employer. 1. Will I still have to pay US taxes on my salary during the remaining tax year? 2. I...

401 (K) Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Do I claim gains or losses on a company-sponsored 401(K) savings and investment plan? I did not get 1099 from my employer.

J1 Taxation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello All, I am on a J1 as a trainee, I have read about being exempt? Does hat mean that I will get all of the tax that was withheld back? TIA Cheers Carolyn

Taxation for L1-A? [ 3 Answers ]

Read someplace that L1 visa holders are considered to have been paid a living allowance and can, therefore, claim Federal tax exemption? Is this true? If yes, what tax forms do I submit and how do I claim this exemption? TIA

Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Does higher taxation mean better standard of living? Justification is required.

View more questions Search