Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Homeschooling away from home?
    I live in the state of Wisconsin, I have been homeschooled since 4th grade. This is my senior year, and I have moved away from my family on my own because of problems at home. This year, I bought a geometry book and teacher's guide, and will do literature- which is what I need to do to finish up my credits to graduate. I do my work, I correct it, and I grade it. I was planning on doing a sort of tutoring with another homeschool mom every so often, so that I can be accountable to someone. I was wondering if this is legal? My mom keeps telling me that they can refuse to give me a diploma, and I can't homeschool unless I'm actually AT HOME. I told her that if I meet the requirements to graduate, then the state will let me graduate, even if she doesn't. She told me that I can do online correspondence courses, or take the GED, and those are my only options, but is what I'm doing now an option? What are my options?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 06:33 PM

You can not teach yourself, the entire classes you are taking now can not be counted, you are required by law to have a parent ( or guardian) over you who is teaching or supervising your school work.

So unless your mom is signing off on you, she is correct you are not legally home schooling you are taking classes at home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 07:00 PM

Home School Statute: Wis. Stat. Ann. § 118.15(4), § 118.165(1).
    1. Definition: A “home-based private educational program” is a program of educational instruction provided to a child by the child's parent or guardian or by a person designated by the parent or guardian. An instructional program provided to more than one family is not a home-based private educational program. Wis. Stat. Ann. § 115.001(3g). However, a home schooling parent can be “a person designated” by another parent to do the teaching for their student. In this case, however, the parents should still file a statement of enrollment (see #2 below) for their own children.
    2. By October 15 each year the parents must submit a statement of enrollment to the Department of Public Instruction, indicating whether the home school meets all the requirements under Wis. Stat. Ann. § 118.165. Wis. Stat. Ann. § 115.30(3). Parents must use the PI-1206 Home-Based Private Educational Program Registration three-part form supplied by the Department of Public Instruction.

And it must be 875 hours which are recorded and documented.

So it has to be done by the parent and to even court, it has to be recorded to the school system each year. If these requirements are not meet it is not considered a legal home school,
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 12:02 PM

The only thing my mom did that had anything to do with the state, was give us placement tests, and enroll us, she NEVER recorded how many hours of school we did. Also, I do have someone who is supervising my school work, and I meet with her twice a week, almost like tutoring, like I said. This tutor is also someone that my parent's designated to teach me. So the entire classes I'm taking now then, can be counted because I have a supervisor? I'm not completely on my own. This lady who is doing this holds classes for homeschoolers in geometry, biology, chemistry, and algebra. She would teach us, and send us home with the book to do the work, then we would return the homework and she would check it- that's about what I'm doing here. So, that's illegal?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I do homeschooling online [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know if I can do homeschooling online cause I can't take going to school everyday I have to many resonsiblities

Homeschooling !5 yr old [ 19 Answers ]

I am homeschooling my 15 yr ols son. I started towards the end of the year last year. Now that school has started again { Break is over} I am having a hard time getting him to work for more than an hour a day. He is doing beter than he was in the public school and getting good grades. I told...

Homeschooling [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a paper for my college english class on the adantages and disadvantages of homeschooling. I was homeschooled and also attended some public school. I would like responses from people who have been homeschooled not people who only have an opinion on the topic Thanks

Homeschooling a k student [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken my son out of the public school and desided to homeschool wich books and where would I go to get them are the best?:o

Homeschooling [ 34 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know more about the disadvantages of homeschooling. I am doing a letter to the editor for a school assessment task and I need to find as many disadvantages as possible. If you can help please respond.

View more questions Search