Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcarey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 01:31 PM
    How reliable & well-made is the Maytag M120 Series 80 Single-Stage Gas Furnace?
    The heating and cooling technician we have used on our residential building wall furnaces, furnaces and space-heaters for many years has recommended installing Maytag M120 Series 80 Single Stage Gas furnaces for several apartments with older hot forced air furnaces that vent into clay-tile lined chimneys. How reliable and well-made is this Maytag furnace? Also, would it be a good idea to pay an extra $300 for a 12 year labor warranty (to match the 12-year parts warranty that comes with this furnace)?

Thank for the information!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 02:09 PM
    installing Maytag M120 Series 80 Single Stage Gas furnaces for several apartments with older hot forced air furnaces that vent into clay-tile lined chimneys

When you mix different efficiency units it can be a problem unless the installer really knows his business. The old units I believe are gravity vented the new units are power vented I believe. Great care needs to be taken when mixing different category units in the same chimney. The new units might have to be piped directly into the existing chimeny and then up the chimny to the outside to isloate them from the old units. Then the next problem is chimney sizing for all these combined units. I cannot stress how much of a problem this can be so for safety sake make sure it is done correctly.

How reliable and well-made is this Maytag furnace?

Maytag is just a brand name. They come under the Nordyne roof of products which include Tapan,Westinghouse,Gibson,Kelvinator,Frigidaire,et c. They work OK but the most important thing is the install. You can take good equipment and a bad install and it will be junk in no time or you can take less expensive equipment with a good install and they will last for a long time.

Also, would it be a good idea to pay an extra $300 for a 12 year labor warranty (to match the 12-year parts warranty that comes with this furnace)?

Yes and no. If the labor warranty is directly from the factory it is a good deal BUT if the warranty is from the selling dealer it is a bad deal. Who says he will be in business for 12 more years? Once he is out of business or dies your warranty goes with him if you know what I mean.

Your unit is below see link.

http://www.nordyne.com/literature/745c.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single Stage & Mult-stage heat pumps [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between a single stage and multi-stage heat pump?

Benefits of two stage vs single stage heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a 20 year old Lennox two stage heat pump. Live in northwest Florida panhandle. 2400 sq foot single story home. One AC tech suggested not using a two stage replacement unit because of cost. What are advantages of two stage over single and what should I consider in choosing...

Hvac1000: Or ing stage relays (multi-stage stats to single stage) [ 1 Answers ]

Would you agree that you can and should OR the outputs of say a 2 stage heating stat to make it a single stage? OR means connect the outputs together. Example: Connect W and W2 to create a single stage stat. I'm under the impression that either W1 or W2 is activated and not both and that this...

2 stage furnace / single stage thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a Goodman 90,000btu 2 stage, variable speed 5 ton blower furnace put in. I am also have a 3 ton 16 seer A/C put in. They want to set me up with a Honeywell 4000 programmable thermostat. I thought that I read that this thermostat was for single stage heating. Am I getting short changed?...

View more questions Search