Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krouse1019 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Probability outcomes
    if three coins are tossed at the same time, what is the probability that at least one of the coins will land heads up. The answer is 7/8 but explain why:confused:
    v1033 Posts: 44, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2008, 01:34 PM

all the possible outcomes are:

HHH
    HHT
    HTH
    THH
    HTT
    THT
    TTH
    TTT

where H is heads and T is tails

of the 8 possible outcomes only one has no heads up toss and the remaining 7 do

so the probability that at least one of the coins will land heads up. The answer is 7/8

I'm not sure what level you are working at, so let me know if that doesn't make sense to you...
    ryan2440 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 09:37 PM

Of the 8 possible outcomes only one has no heads up toss and the remaining 7 do, so the probability that at least one of the coins will land heads up is 7/8
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 04:50 AM

Or, if you want to use that method:

Probability of having all tails (in all the other outcomes, there is at least one head)

=

=

Then, to have your answer, do:

=

=

Hope it helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probability for dice roll outcomes [ 2 Answers ]

I have searched for similar answers with no luck so I am hoping one of you can be kind enough to help me with this. Using standard 6 sided die - all results should be based on only one roll for each question of the following number of die. Each question below is independent of other questions,...

How do annuities affect TVM investment outcomes [ 1 Answers ]

How do annuities affect TVM investment outcomes

WW1 Causes and outcomes info [ 6 Answers ]

I need some ww1 causes and outcomes info for a project, Any links? I need them soon please :)

Texas debt proceedures - possible outcomes? [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas when an individual is sued for debt and the individual cannot pay the amount sued for, what actions (entry of judgement, filing a lien, attachment of assets, freezing of bank accounts, etc.) can be forced upon the individual and how do they impact the individual?

View more questions Search