Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jameslrice Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Alternate to Self-leveling Compound
    I have a 5' by 5' area in a basement bathroom that I will be covering with vinyl tile (floating, not glue-down). The area is relatively flat and I know it is slightly out of level. There is a portion of it that is of a different texture and not perfectly flat from where I had to replace the concrete after having some plumbing work done underground. It's not major, but it just might be enough to cause a noticeable problem with the tile which is pretty thin.

I had initially thought I could just throw some self-leveling compound down. But I've read some others experiences online and it doesn't seem like it's that easy to work with. Are there any alternates?

With a small area like this, would it be possible (and easier) to apply a skim coat of some other material?

What about putting down a bed of thinset and embedding two pieces of cement board or hardibacker? That actually seems like the easiest option, but I'm concerned about the brittleness of that material.

Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Oct 21, 2008, 04:28 PM

1. Use a self lever from home depot
    2. mix it a little loose with a drill
    3. pour it out and feather out the edges
    4. get r done:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 07:22 PM

I agree. Self leveling is much easier and better than try to lay backer board on thinset, that needs nails or screws too not just thinset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternate ointment for cipro-cf? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to know where I can buy a skin ointment CIPRO-CF or quintega-cf (both which I have used) or please let me know the combination of the ointment so that I can look buy a alternate medicine(it is used for acne) Ur help is appreciated

How can I set up my MS VPN to allocate an alternate destination? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of moving some of my application files and the user profiles with that application from one server to another to free up space on my domain controller. I have tested my brainstorm of simply deleting the application settings for that user from the domain controller and...

Alternate to suboxone? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 60 years old. I was on oxy (percocet) for years until I retired from drywall construction. I am now on suboxone, but every time I stop taking it, I feel like death. It's much, much worse than stopping the oxycodone. I now live in Costa Rica, which has no suboxone anywhere. I get mine off the...

How much floor leveling compound can I use? [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I plan on putting down some laminate flooring but the existing sub floor very uneven. We are hoping to get out of replacing as much as we can and use some of that leveling material. So my question is how much is the max suggested? Is it 1/4" or ? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search