Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwile2k5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Long, Long, history of freezeups, and blown fuses!
    Hello I have been having trouble with our furnace for quite some time, and I have been arguing and fighting with home issurance companies trying to get this fixed and Im tired of dealing with them so I turn here.

Originally our problem began with the whole unit freezing up in the summer when the ac was on. We've had freon filled, evap coils cleaned, air filters are changed religiously, low voltage fuse blown in air handler, 3zmp fuses blown and replaced, compressor not kicking on so replaced capacitor, and compressor replaced. I have in the meantime of a lot of this replaced my old analog stat with a new hunter digital one. I know this may or may not be the problem because we were having problems BEFORE I replaced the stat.

The last time they came out the same was going on, no AC, but freezing lines. Guy fed me the SAME BS about the evap coil needing cleaned. So Im not a stupid guy, either the last people that cleaned the evap coils didn't do a job worth a damn, because there is no way that after a year they need cleaned again, especially since I have been replacing filters like crazy keeping the system cleaned. But now after about a month since that guy last came we haven't had to use either ac, or heat. I went to turn the heat on today and nothing, tried ac, nothing. Ive blown 3 3amp fuses since this morning. Checked from what I can tell there is no shorts. I cannot find out what the problem here is, and neither can the techs that keep coming, they'll fix it for about 2-4weeks, and that's it. But now I can't get it working for 5min??

PLEASE O PLEASE HELP!

Unit is:

GOODMAN CPKE30-1B

Oct 20, 2008, 08:30 AM

Here's some pics, I have found that there is a green wire from the stat to the inside of furnace is hooked up BUT from the outside unit to inside furnace niether are hooked up? Does this matter?

Oct 20, 2008, 11:18 AM

Well here's another thing I just tried, I replaced the fuse again but now the AC will work. When I switch over to heat it blows?

Here a pic of my stat setup:

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 12:49 PM

#1. Put the mechanical stat back. The hunter is junk.

#2 Freezing up.
    Air flow is the usual suspect. It can be measured. The location of the outdoor unit can matter too. Pressure drop across the evaporator should be measured too.

Wrong charge. Let's assume the AC guy knows what he's doing here.

Wrong line size.

Contaminants in the lines. Tell me about whether an R-410 replaced an R-22 system?

Non-condensables in the lines.

Particulates in the lines.

System running too long.

Faulty TXV or orifice. Bad placement of the TXV bulb. If it has a TXV, it will be located just outside of the evaporator. It will have a sensing bulb that goes inside. Does it have a TXV?

Tell me anything about the conditions of the freeze up?

Stupid installers: Those who leave existing pipes uncapped for a day or so when changing systems. Bugs could crawl in.

Oct 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

TXV, TXV bulb? I don't think it has this? Ive never heard it mentioned, or know what it is? Also the freeze only happens when system is running long or a lot, and on hotter days. It really doesn't do it as much as say last year did or year before. Ill have ice buildup all the way outside to the indoor unit. I have a upflowing unit, in a ranch residential home if that helps, I was told it was installed upside down since it was an upflowing unit. Therefore when the unit was all freezing that water would drip down, and short out the fuse. (There storie! ). Now there is no AC on nor any freezing but still a blown fuse! By the way I can't remember how those wires went on the old stat, that thing was all screwy. Ill try and get some pics of the back of it after supper, Thanks a lot KeppItSimple!
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:01 PM

A TXV is the thing in the middle. Sometimes it's on the outside of the plenum.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/medi...man/1837QA.jpg

Installed upside down will definitely cause some issues. The drains aren't going to be in the right place. When the humidity is up, the moisture removed by the AC will be more. This is probably when your having your problems.

Oct 21, 2008, 01:20 PM

Welp, seems Im not supposed to have the blue and white wires hooked up at same w/b terminal. Tech came out today. So well see how long it works this time. I'm still going to check for that TXV though.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 02:10 PM

I think your going to have to look at the way the inside coil drains as water condenses on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown Fuses [ 3 Answers ]

Keep blowing fuel pump fuses and already changed the fuel pump relay, didn't solve the problem. 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 6.1 Car

Police arrested an innocent man because of long criminal history. [ 12 Answers ]

Before I ask my question please read what situation that had happened to give you a better idea of what's going on. There was an incident that had occurred @ my resident. There was a snowmobile that was cruising in my backyard and someone called the police. The police arrived and asked me if it was...

Long Period - History of irregular periods - Should I see a DR? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 33 year old women with 3 children and a long history of irregular periods. I've been known to go 6 months and even a year without a period. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I really haven't been that worried about it because I have all the children that I want. Well, then...

How long before history repeats itself! [ 2 Answers ]

US is Bankrupt this happen in 1933, how long before history repeats itself? It seem the our government is more concern about everything else except the US economy, What suggestions can we come up for the government to restore the US Economy? The dollar may fall this March 01/14/2006...

View more questions Search