Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 05:27 AM
    A touchy subject
    Hello:

In my view, the only way McCain can win is if we are attacked, or if Obama is disabled.

As has been seen, this election isn't like any other. One side is deathly afraid of the other. I don't mean just afraid of his policies. They're afraid of HIM! That's because one side has made fear of the other guy the MAIN theme of their campaign.

Given that some of these people can be whipped up into a frenzy, do you think they are crazy enough to attack us and try to blame the Arabs, and/or do you think they might try to harm Obama in the name of the "War on Terrorism"??

Personally, I think either of these two scenarios are entirely possible.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 05:51 AM

One of the best lines of McCain's comments at the Alfred E Smith Memorial dinner.

[Obama ]"is ready for any contingency, even the possibility of a sudden and dramatic market rebound. I'm told that at the first sign of a recovery, he will suspend his campaign and fly immediately to Washington to address the crisis".

No the McCain campaign has not made fear of Obama it's "main"theme . This is a referendum on Obama's ability to lead the country compared to McCain's .
    do you think they are crazy enough to attack us and try to blame the Arabs,

Who is "they " ?
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    No the McCain campaign has not made fear of Obama it's "main"theme . This is a referendum on Obama's ability to lead the country compared to McCain's . Who is "they " ?
    Hello tom:

I can't imagine you don't know who "they" are. I guess when you've drunk the koolaid everything looks a little different...

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:02 AM
    In this case I really don't know who they is . The McCain campaign ? A mob of uncontrollable Republicans ? The Mossad ? The CIA ? The Free Masons ?
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Hello again, tom:

Any of the above who believes that Obama pals around with terrorists. That IS what the McCain campaign is saying, and there are some people who are off kilter enough to believe it.

I don't know. When you whip people into a frenzy about their "terrorist" apponent, some of 'em might think they're doing their patriotic duty if they did him in. No??

You don't think there's a price to pay for whipping up the crowds?? Dude! How much koolaid can you consume??

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:14 AM

Lol

I'm more inclined to believe what Biden said... that a President Obama would be tested by some international crisis in the 1st 6 months of his Presidency .
    Political Radar: Biden to Supporters: "Gird Your Loins", For the Next President "It's Like Cleaning Augean Stables"
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Hello again, tom:

I'm inclined to believe it too...

But, I know how crazy people act. I know that all they need is the tiniest bit of justification, and the McCain campaign is giving it to them.

I hope I'm wrong. But, YOU, my friend, are either being naïve or you're drunk on the right wing koolaid.

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:27 AM

OK I'll play your game.

What happens when Obama loses and his supporters think the election was stolen ? Some of them have already hinted violence.

Whoever wins had better get a litigation proof majority or it will take months for the bottom feeding lawyers and the court system to sort it all out.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Ex, isn't all this talk about fearing for Obama's life just spreading more fear? And just what is all this about:

Youtube: Diddy Blog #24 - Sarah Palin Scares Me

Why Sarah Palin Scares Me

ED KOCH: Sarah Palin "scares the hell out of me"

Sarah Palin scares me...

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 09:53 AM
    The fear of assassination and the fear of someone being the leader of the country are a little different don't you think? One involves murdering a human, the other doesn't.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:00 AM
    What does Biden mean when he said (from the link I posted above)

"And he's going to need help. And the kind of help he's going to need is, he's going to need you - not financially to help him - we're going to need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."
    ??
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The fear of assassination and the fear of someone being the leader of the country are a little different don't you think? One involves murdering a human, the other doesn't.
    Incitement is incitement, NK. I'm bothered less by a few fringe idiots than a constituency smiling as they proudly display their hatred and stoke fears as the left does.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    ... stoke fears as the left does.
    If you aren't aware that the neocons are the champions at this then you're the only one who doesn't know.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    If you aren't aware that the neocons are the champions at this then you're the only one who doesn't know.
    LOL, no, the left just seems to have a distinct blindness to the fear-mongering from their own
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 20, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

In my view, the only way McCain can win is if we are attacked, or if Obama is disabled.

As has been seen, this election isn't like any other. One side is deathly afraid of the other. I don't mean just afraid of his policies. They're afraid of HIM! That's because one side has made fear of the other guy the MAIN theme of their campaign.

Given that some of these people can be whipped up into a frenzy, do you think they are crazy enough to attack us and try to blame the Arabs, and/or do you think they might try to harm Obama in the name of the "War on Terrorism"???

Personally, I think either of these two scenarios are entirely possible.

excon
    Hi excon.

As usual I disagree with several of your points.

First of all, I don't agree that the only way that McCain can win is if we are attacked or Obama is disabled. The polls show McCain gaining on Obama. He's within 2 points of Obama in most polls and in most battleground states. McCain is NOT out of the running yet.

Furthermore, do you remember the prediction that I made a couple of months back? I predicted that if Obama doesn't have a 10-point lead over McCain going into the election, he will lose. There are a "statistically significant" number of people who are saying they will vote for Obama, but who will really vote for McCain. If Obama doesn't have a 10 point lead, it means that he doesn't have enough votes to counteract that portion of the voting public. I believe that this is still true.

And there are other ways that McCain can win. For instance, if OBL were to be found, McCain would be able to attach himself to the excitement that event would bring. The Republicans would suddenly look like heroes again. It would change the entire political outlook.

Second, I disagree that this campaign is anything but business as usual. Neither side is using tactics that have never been used before. Scare tactics have been used in political campaigns as long as they have existed. Remember the ads torpedoed the Goldwater campaign? The little girl with the flower? Chicago politics is particularly well-known for its "dirty politics" and scare tactics, but it exists everywhere there are political campaigns and it is no different now than it was in previous campaigns. Louder, perhaps, but no different.

Third, I disagree with your assumption that only one side has used scare tactics to demonize their opponent. Moveon.org and other liberal talking heads are still telling the world that a vote for McCain is a vote to be in a war for 100 years. Code Pink still calls McCain a murderer for supporting the surge. The lefties are still trying to tell us how scary Sarah Pallin is, whether because she's a "caribou killer" or because she's too inexperienced to be "a heartbeat away from the Presidency". Leftist doctors have come out with an ad saying that McCain's cancer could return and we should be afraid of what that would mean for our country. The scare tactics are being used by BOTH sides.

So I disagree with the basic premises of your post.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subject: T.L.E. [ 14 Answers ]

1.) what factor affect the growth of trees? 2.) how do choose the species of the trees to plant? 3.) how does exposure affect the growth the trees?

I Don't know iif this subject has came up before [ 22 Answers ]

Ok If I Don't Use Correct Grammer Such As Full Stops Forgive Me Im Used To Doing It On Computer Im An 18yr Old Virgin Going On 19 At First I Didn't Care About It But People I Knew Found Out An They Started Laughing Calling Me A Loser An Stuff It Got Worse From There When I Went To Work I Had...

2 subject that need you! [ 6 Answers ]

1. My girlfriend is bi. And not to long ago she was bring up she wanted a threesome. Yea I know most guys would really like this, but I am different. I told her that she was the only woman for me and that there no other girl for me. She then said to me "Well of course your not going touch her. I...

View more questions Search