Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SKJubin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Raccoons and oppossum
    There are raccoons and opossums that raid my bird feeders. What could I put out to keep them from coming to the bird feeders. If food down in the woods, what kind?

Sjubin
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 5, 2006, 06:21 AM
    There are special bird feeders that are "vermin proof" mostly marketed as squirrel proof, but should detour coons and opossums as well. Other than that, I doubt there is anything you can do to keep the little buggers away.
    If you DO find something that works please post it and let us know! :) good luck and thanks for feeding our feathered friends!:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Hi,
    I also don't know a good deterrent.
    Chipmunks (also called Ground Squirrels) LOVE birdfeed, too!
    I have 3 birdfeeders in my back yard, with Wrens, Cardinals, BlueJays, and some Sparrows coming regularly for feed. They are beautiful. One is about 10 feet from my kitchen window, on the back porch, here in VA.
    Here is a link to an "animal free" birdfeeder:
    http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/cooperfeeders.htm

I don't know how much you might want to spend on one, but you can find others doing some research on Google, etc, typing in birdfeeders.
    I do wish you good luck. PS; I also tried the Hot Red Pepper, crushed, and shaken over the bird feed. It doesn't harm birds, but is supposed to keep Chipmunks away, after they get some of it on their feet. Didn't work for me!
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Try putting one of those dog collars that keep them from licking their stitches around the tree... It will only work I think if they have to climb that tree to get to the bird food... you will have to make it big enough that they can't reach the edge and pull themselves up... You might also try putting one of those on the feeder itself. That's the only thing that I can think of.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 5, 2006, 09:21 PM
    I would watch the animal planet back yard habits.
    They have really good ideas
    I personally just shot them with a pellet gun once or twice and they won't come back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search