Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xthursday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Physics: calculating work
    Early one October you go to a pumpkin patch to select your Halloween pumpkin. You lift the 2.6 kg pumpkin to a height of 1.08 m, then carry it 51.5 m (on level ground) to the check-out stand.
    (a) Calculate the work you do on the pumpkin as you lift it from the ground.

(b) How much work do you do on the pumpkin as you carry it from the field?

I know that the answer to part a is 27.55 J by W=Fd
    W=m*g*d
    W= (2.6 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(1.08 m) = 27.55 J

I am having trouble finding the right answer to the second part of the question. I have tried a few combinations but nothing is giving me a correct answer.
    I tried W=(2.6 kg)(9.81)(51.55m) = 1313.559 J
    I added this to the answer from part a for total work on the pumpkin = 1341.109 J
    I tried W=F(cos(0))d. = 9.81(cos(0))51.5 = 505.215 J
    It just doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. What am I missing?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 08:28 PM

Is it not simply 1313.559 J as you got it?

I mean, only W=Fd, and no more, because if you held a pumpkin above the ground and don't move, it is not considered work. So, only the distance travelled is considered. Were you given the answer?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 12:00 PM

Remember that work is actually a scalar quantity defined as the Force acting over a distance :

This is a fancy way of saying that work is Force times Distance times the cosine of the angle between them. As you carry the pumpkin the force due to gravity is in the direction down towards the ground, but the distance you travel is horizintal to the ground. Therefore the force and distance vectors are perpendicular to each other, and hence you do no work on the pumpkin as you carry it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating ending work in process [ 1 Answers ]

I have calculated the following information and cannot recall how to calculate the ending work in process without knowing the number of units either sold or finished (ending). Inventory balances: January 1 Beginning Ending Raw materials $30,000 $70,000 Work in...

Calculating Work in Process [ 1 Answers ]

If the beginning work in process is unknown, how do I compute it?

Physics Problems ! (work= Distance * Force) [ 2 Answers ]

A force of 825 N is needed to push a car across a lot. Two student push the car 35 m . How much work is done? After a rainstorm, the force needed to push the car doubled because the ground became soft . By what amount does the work done by the students change ?

View more questions Search