Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taylor18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
    My girlfriends mom is crazy and keeps her trapped in her house what should I do?
    Please anyone who can help this is fairly urgent. My girlfriends mom is pretty much insane but we have no proof of it to present to the court. A few weeks ago my girlfriend and her mom got into a intense fight because her mom trapped her in a corner and wouldn't let her move, when my girlfriend tried to get away from the corner her mom shoved her back and hit her repeatedly in the head and then backed away when my girlfriend swore at her and started fighting back. She then called me to come help her, but as soon as she got those words out her mom pulled the plug on the phone, she was going to call the police but her mom wouldn't let her have the phone and continued to yell at her, her mom even went as far as to call her a slut, whore and a worthless daughter. I am 17 going on 18 in two months and my girlfriend is 15 going on 16 two days after my birthday.. we live in Utah my girlfriend would like to get emacipated asap what proof does she need to do this.. she has a friends mom who will let her live with her until she is ready to move out if she goes through with it. Also we called the police a few days after the physical and emotional abuse, but since it was not during the incident they could do nothing but warn the mom.. which so far has made life worse for my girlfriend.. Her mom quit being physically abusive but is making up for that by being even my mentally abusive. She blames my girlfriend for all her problems and claims that she is the cause for all her problems. Her mom is a single mom that is around 40 years old.. has five children plus one niece who just needs a place to live during college. She has a part time job and several boyfriends who she goes and spends all night with and leaves my girlfriend to take care of the house and her younger siblings. Ever since we called the police her mom has started trapping her in the house. She has blocked all of my girlfriends friends numbers, and won't let her leave the house. She is even going as far as to try and get her out of high school.. so she can "Help with the house". Her house is very short on food all the time, in order for my girlfriend to eat she has to go to a friends house. Now that she is trapped at her house she has lost 10 pounds over a week and a half.. I am very worried for my girlfriend and want her out of there asap and she wants out too as well.. I know this is all fact because I've witnessed how her mom acts.. her mom is very two faced I have realized. But that does not matter it all comes down to this.. Is all of this enough for my girlfriend to get emancipated in the state of Utah? :confused: Please please help!!
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 06:37 PM

No she can not get emancipated she does not qualify in the least for emancipation. What she does need to do is talk to her school couselor. The couselor will know of all the local agencies to contact to get it taken care of if they deem it to be serious enough. I know people tend to make fun of them but this is what they are there for and are generally pretty good at their jobs.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 07:20 PM

Something to consider is getting a new girlfriend. Im sure your heart is filled with valor over saving her from her situation but you need to consider this. The age of consent in Utah is 18. So if you have been fooling around with her in any way you could face going to prison and also be branded a sexual preditor for the rest of your life. Something you really need to consider because from the sounds of it her mom is a vendictive person. Also your girlfriend could call child protective services and be placed in foster care during the interim until things are straightened out and a investigation takes place. You friends mom that would take her in could also be in violation of the law if its not done right. And with this track record going on you need to dot all I's and cross all T's.

For reference:

AGE OF CONSENT CHART FOR THE U.S.

Oct 19, 2008, 08:05 PM
    I have not fooled around with her in anyway actually as far as we have gone is kissing. Also I think her talking to a school counselor would be a good idea for her to talk to.

Oct 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Also.. what does it require for her to be emancipated?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 02:28 PM

First your state has to allow it to begin with (I don't remember if yours does) then there is a list of criteria and ALL have to be met. 1) be at least 16 2)Have a place to rent can not live with friends or family 3)Have proof that you will be allowed to rent because most landlords won't rent to someone underage and proof of how much rent is to be paid each month 4) A Job that will pay for rent, utilities, and food with the pay stubs to prove that it will cover all costs 5)currently enrolled in high school with a plan on how to work enough hours to pay all bills and graduate 6) all of this written out in a plan of action so that the judge can review it
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Oct 21, 2008, 02:41 PM

Please get her out of the house and straight to a school consellor or to the nearest municipal center that can help kids in abusive situations. Someone should call in children's aid, to rescue the younger children. Have the police helped in the past or just ignored the problem? Is there a neighbour who she trusts that can come into the home and pull her out or go to the proper authorities?

Hang in there. I'm sorry that her mother is crazy and dangerous. You're doing the right thing... protect her in any way you can. Talk to YOUR teacher if you don't know what to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 03:35 PM

Ok, first she has to do something, she goes to school, let her talk to a teacher, or couselor, contact children and family services, let them do home studies and inspections.

But in the end remember this story may or may not be true, sorry but her mom may be providing the best she can and be on food stamps, and not much food may be that they have to eat rice and beans a lot but get a lot of that. Being poor is not always neglect.

So if she wants help, she has to go to the authorities.

Now she is not going to get emansipated, no need to start into what she has to do, but to start have a job, make enough to live on own is just the fist of many things

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer drain smell trapped in my house [ 2 Answers ]

We had a sewer drain clog in the basement of our home. It was flushed, but a foul smell is trapped in the family rm./bsmt. Area and is now throughout the entire first floor area of our home. How do I get rid of this awful smell?

I'm trapped between two guys [ 9 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend he is in jail, I've been with him for a year. About 4 months ago I met someone, we decided to be friends with benefit, but we got our feelings involved. Now he decided to break up with me, the reason he's catching to many feelings and can't accept the fact that I have a...

Is My House Hunted Or Am I Crazy? [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of years ago when I was about 10 I came out of my room to go to the wash room late at night I glanced down my hall way into my living room and there in my couch was a spirit it was a female and her skin was as if she had been on fire it was horrible then she got up and walked through the...

Trapped [ 17 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been married for 9 years to a workaholic. I am fortunate enough to stay home and raise our kids, but I am incredibly lonely! Especially on the weekends, when it is highlighted that I am really a raising our...

Trapped [ 6 Answers ]

I have been married for 9 years to a workaholic. I am fortunate enough to stay home and raise our kids, but I am incredibly lonely! Especially on the weekends, when it is highlighted that I am really a raising our kids alone. The past year I have found myself getting my needs met by another man...

View more questions Search