Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garryt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Windows could not start
    I've got a Fujitsu siemens amilo pro laptop with windows xp.When I try to start it I get the following message:

'windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: /windows/system32/config/system'

I can get to the bios and boot screens using F2 and F12 keys and I've tried re booting in safe mode and also running the product recovery CD-ROM disc but nothing seems to work (I don't think the CD is being read as I can't hear any spining noises at all).

Any suggestions please?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 10:17 AM

missing or corrupt: /windows/system32/config/system
    Is there more to this error, a file name or anything

What happens when you try safe mode

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.
    silverfire Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 10:24 AM
    I had this same problem before and from what I can remember I tried first to (like you did) use the recovery disk and actually get just those specific files. It failed and would not complete it processes. The only way I eventually fixed it was to just re-install windows all together. I am sure that is not the way you are looking to go but that decision was made after days of research and calls to other techs. Hope your luck was better than mine!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows will not start up [ 2 Answers ]

Computer is running xp, upon startup everything seems like its fine then it goes scan devices, please wait: Serial_ch0 master: No Device Serial_ch1 master: No Device Then it goe to another screen which says, Verifying DMI pool Data... Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And press Enter...

Windows will not start! [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know what happened, but, I turned my compter on and all I'm getting is this message. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM I can't start in safe mode or anything. So I borrowed a friends XP disc and booted from it....

I can't start Windows XP from MS-DOS [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone, what a day to get a problem on my PC, christmas! Anyway this is my problem. My brother messed up his computer and wanted a MS-DOS CD because he thought somehow it would fix it. He asked me to download it from the internet on my computer and burn it on a CD. Am pretty sure I...

Windows won't start up [ 1 Answers ]

The 80gb hard drive became full and I bought an external hard drive and connected it yesterday. Today I started up the PC and windows won't start up. The PC just says windows is starting up. Can someone help me?:confused:

Windows 98 won't start! [ 12 Answers ]

I have an IBM Aptiva and have not been able to start it since my teenage son opened a file on msn which seems to have caused a problem... When I turn it on it goes through the motions of starting Windows 98 and the titles begin but then the following message appears: Not enough memory to run...

View more questions Search