Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 08:29 AM
    My boyfriend died, and I am pregnant.
    When our child arrives, will he/she have rights to his social security or any survivors benefits?
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 08:33 AM

Let me add a little info. I found out I was pregnant after he died. This has been really hard.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 08:42 AM

No your child is not entitled to anything. There are certain things you can apply for but your going to have to prove paternity. Nothing is automatic. Some of this may even involve a lawyer.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
    I am aware of proving praternity. His mother will do a dna test.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 09:08 AM

Did he have any type of benefits that would have been transferable? Did he have a life insurance policy that was large enough to pay off his debts with something left over?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 09:20 AM
    If you can prove paternity your child should be entitled to his SSI benefits.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 09:22 AM

Life insurance is not an option. He has two other children. His mother mentioned to me that his children will get his social security, and that my child will have just as much rights to that when he is proven to be the father. I haven't spoken to social security yet. I was wondering if anyone might have some knowledge. This is not my biggest concern. I would much rather have him here with me to raise our child. This is just something that has been brought to my attention. Thanks for your response :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Unless the SSI laws have changed in recent years, your child will split the SSI benefits with the other surviving children once paternity is established. This happened to a friend of mine a while ago and her daughter continues to receive the benefits.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 09:29 AM
    The ssi has nothing to do with any debts that he has? Thanks very much for your response. From what his mom said, she thinks it is the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm pregnant and my boyfriend just broke up with me [ 20 Answers ]

He broke up with me and I'm almost 2 months. I don't have anyone to see or talk to, I'm scared, I'm alone, I don't feel like being here. I need help what should I do?

Boyfriend may have another girl pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I of 4 years split up for about 3 months. In the mean time he had sex with somebody and now she is saying she might be pregnant. If she is what do I do? :(

I don't know if my boyfriend can get me pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to get pregnant but my boyfriend smokes mariguana. Is there a problem if he smokes? Can he still get me pregnant?

Ex turns out to be pregnant of my new boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

After 2 years of being single and getting plenty attention from males, I finally met someone I am willing to try with. We are both in love and have been together for about 1,5 months. It's all still very young but it is great. There is one shocking BUT. He left his ex girlfriend about 9 weeks ago,...

Since I was pregnant my boyfriend hasn't wanted to have sex [ 2 Answers ]

When I was pregnant last year my boyfriend actually told me that he wasn't attracted to pregnant women and we only had sex about once a month and when he was drunk. Not real appealing but it was sex. Anyway so I got quite a few stretch marks all over my stomach and boobs I also have some on my...

View more questions Search