Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockopotumus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 07:44 AM
    How do I make new and lasting friendships?
    OK a bit of backgroud info first...
    I had been shy throughout my school life but since leaving school 3 years ago I have become more confident than I ever thought I would be. I did have a few good friends at school who I still meet up with when there back from university but this isn't very often. But when there away at uni I feel I don’t have any friends. Basically what I'm saying is I haven't got many friends and am stuck for ways to find new friends.
    I have good career prospects and enjoy where I work so I don’t really want to move away but at the same time I work with people who aren’t in my age group. The youngest people I work with are about 29/30 and starting to settle down with girlfriends and marriage.
    I feel stuck in a rut as I'm not going out and am stuck indoors. I like tennis and used to play at school but I don’t know how to get back into it and I don’t know anyone who plays. I'm only 5ft3 and not very strong so football clubs and rugby clubs aren’t for me. I'm basically stuck, got hardly any friends and don’t know where to go next. If any one can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS sorry it's a bit long
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 12:49 PM

You like tennis? Great, join a club and have fun. Pick activities you like, find clubs or organizations that offer this sort of thing and join in. Being an introvert I find it extremely hard to make small talk, so to counter that I am a greeter at my Church. Get the idea. Life is what you make of it, not what others make you think it is. Your best or lasting friendships will be made through places where you enjoy being, or activities you enjoy doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gift Horses and Friendships [ 12 Answers ]

Today, in the mail, a present arrived from the friend that with no explanation left my life 6 months ago and has not returned phone calls and emails for just as long. All contact has been business like. It was something well thought out but not expensive. We live close enough that she could have...

Rebuilding friendships [ 8 Answers ]

I remember discussing on the forum that "we can lose friends" when we lean on them too much for support. I know I have made this mistake with friends - feeling needy. I feel I am much stronger now, however I am not sure how to rebuild those friendships - as I can sense they are reluctant to...

Ending friendships [ 10 Answers ]

What signs indicate that you want to end a friendship?

Children's friendships [ 2 Answers ]

I have a child who is almost 9. He has had a hard time making friends. I've recently encouraged him to invite friends to play. I got a phone call from another mother at the school who is having the same issues and thought we should encourage our children to play. She asked that my son come...

Friendships going wrong [ 6 Answers ]

Hi.I am a very, caring, loving genuine guy 36. Great personality, sense of humour & I have always found it easy to meet people & become friends as I see the good in everyone & my friends & I have a lot in common. Just recently a female friend & I of 4 years, had an argument due to a lot of stress I...

View more questions Search