Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Merris View Post
    This is a lie.

From USA today fact check after the third debate...
    From the wayback machine via Patterico's Pontifications via Politico:

Get to know Barack Obama
    When I first met Barack Obama, he was giving a standard, innocuous little talk in the livingroom of those two legends-in-their-own-minds, Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn. They were launching him--introducing him to the Hyde Park community as the best thing since sliced bread.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    When I first saw him and heard him, I immediately thought of him as the best thing since sliced bread. And he hasn't disappointed.
    Merris Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Oct 20, 2008, 11:23 AM
    This thread has gotten way off topic. ;) Just like McCain's campaign, not surprisingly. The more republicans harp about a perceived negative it shows that they are out of touch with the needs of the people and what really matters... finding solutions to the problems at hand. McCain doesn't have any solutions, thus he focuses on Ayers. What's funny is that I can bet none of the republicans harping about Ayer's anti-Vietnam activities actually served in Veitnam. Colin Powell... did. He doesn't seem to have a problem with Ayers... who for all intents and purposes is a reformed person and accepted in the Chicago community of educators as such and has worked with MANY politicians of all backgrounds. So Liddy can reform... but Ayers can't. Is that what you are implying?

Pretty low tactics, there.

And since the Woods fund was mentioned... let's just read their mission statement...

The fund describes itself as "a grantmaking foundation whose goal is to increase opportunities for less advantaged people and communities in the metropolitan area, including the opportunity to shape decisions affecting them. The foundation works primarily as a funding partner with nonprofit organizations. Woods supports nonprofits in their important roles of engaging people in civic life, addressing the causes of poverty and other challenges facing the region, promoting more effective public policies, reducing racism and other barriers to equal opportunity, and building a sense of community and common ground."

This is the foundation where both Obama and Ayers served on the same board. Wow... this sounds like a... scary den of terrorism! LOL.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 11:48 AM
    This thread has gotten way off topic. ;) Just like McCain's campaign, not surprisingly. The more republicans harp about a perceived negative it shows that they are out of touch with the needs of the people and what really matters... finding solutions to the problems at hand. McCain doesn't have any solutions, thus he focuses on Ayers. What's funny is that I can bet none of the republicans harping about Ayer's anti-Vietnam activities actually served in Veitnam. Colin Powell... did. He doesn't seem to have a problem with Ayers... who for all intents and purposes is a reformed person and accepted in the Chicago community of educators as such and has worked with MANY politicians of all backgrounds. So Liddy can reform... but Ayers can't. Is that what you are implying?

Pretty low tactics, there.

And since the Woods fund was mentioned... let's just read their mission statement...

The fund describes itself as "a grantmaking foundation whose goal is to increase opportunities for less advantaged people and communities in the metropolitan area, including the opportunity to shape decisions affecting them. The foundation works primarily as a funding partner with nonprofit organizations. Woods supports nonprofits in their important roles of engaging people in civic life, addressing the causes of poverty and other challenges facing the region, promoting more effective public policies, reducing racism and other barriers to equal opportunity, and building a sense of community and common ground."

This is the foundation where both Obama and Ayers served on the same board. Wow... this sounds like a.... scary den of terrorism! LOL.
    I couldn't agree with everything you've been saying throughout this thread more.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
    This thread has gotten way off topic. ;) Just like McCain's campaign, not surprisingly. The more republicans harp about a perceived negative it shows that they are out of touch with the needs of the people and what really matters... finding solutions to the problems at hand. McCain doesn't have any solutions, thus he focuses on Ayers.
    I didn't change the subject, nor did I claim that the Obama launched his political career in Ayers' home was refuted... I believe you made that claim. Well, USA Today's fact checker is wrong. It does matter.

What's funny is that I can bet none of the republicans harping about Ayer's anti-Vietnam activities actually served in Veitnam. Colin Powell... did. He doesn't seem to have a problem with Ayers... who for all intents and purposes is a reformed person and accepted in the Chicago community of educators as such and has worked with MANY politicians of all backgrounds. So Liddy can reform... but Ayers can't. Is that what you are implying?
    As tom and I have both pointed out Liddy served his time. As I pointed out elsewhere, Liddy's sentence was commuted by Jimmy Carter, he was accepted into the Hollywood club even appearing in an Al Franken comedy. It's just like Powell, to the left they're OK as long is they're serving their purpose. Ayers, as has been repeatedly noted here, is UNREPENTANT, he wishes he would have bombed more and won't say that he wouldn't do it again. Why can't Obama bring himself to tell us the truth about his relationship and distance himself from an UNREPENTANT terrorist? Reform demands repentance. McCain was forthcoming about his relationship with Liddy, why can't Obama do the same?

This is the foundation where both Obama and Ayers served on the same board. Wow... this sounds like a... scary den of terrorism! LOL.
    It's well known that Ayers wants our kids to taught in public schools to be a bunch of radicals for their cause. I think they should learn reading, writing, math, science and how to think for themselves.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 12:03 PM
    It's well known that Ayers wants our kids to taught in public schools to be a bunch of radicals for their cause. I think they should learn reading, writing, math, science and how to think for themselves.
    You must not have been alive during the Viet Nam years. The anger against the government was palpable.

It is not "well known" that Ayers wants students to be radicals. Who says this? Have you ever read any of his books since he has been in education?
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You must not have been alive during the Viet Nam years. The anger against the government was palpable.
    I was born in 1960, the war was on the evening news every night, but as an elementary school student I was more into riding bikes and playing football with my friends. Does palpable anger against our government justify terrorism? If that’s the case, what should all these alleged radical McCain supporters do with their palpable anger?

It is not "well known" that Ayers wants students to be radicals. Who says this? Have you ever read any of his books since he has been in education?
    Those who excuse him as some sort of education reformer deny it but it is well know to anyone that’s paid attention or looked deeper into Ayers than the MSM has this year.

Calling Bill Ayers a school reformer is a bit like calling Joseph Stalin an agricultural reformer. (If you find the metaphor strained, consider that Walter Duranty, the infamous New York Times reporter covering the Soviet Union in the 1930s, did, in fact, depict Stalin as a great land reformer who created happy, productive collective farms.) For instance, at a November 2006 education forum in Caracas, Venezuela, with President Hugo Chávez at his side, Ayers proclaimed his support for “the profound educational reforms under way here in Venezuela under the leadership of President Chávez. We share the belief that education is the motor-force of revolution. . . . I look forward to seeing how you continue to overcome the failings of capitalist education as you seek to create something truly new and deeply humane.” Ayers concluded his speech by declaring that “Venezuela is poised to offer the world a new model of education—a humanizing and revolutionary model whose twin missions are enlightenment and liberation,” and then, as in days of old, raised his fist and chanted: “Viva Presidente Chávez! Viva la Revolucion Bolivariana! Hasta la Victoria Siempre!”

As I have shown in previous articles in City Journal, Ayers’s school reform agenda focuses almost exclusively on the idea of teaching for “social justice” in the classroom. This has nothing to do with the social-justice ideals of the Sermon on the Mount or Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Rather, Ayers and his education school comrades are explicit about the need to indoctrinate public school children with the belief that America is a racist, militarist country and that the capitalist system is inherently unfair and oppressive. As a leader of this growing “reform” movement, Ayers was recently elected vice president for curriculum of the American Education Research Association, the nation’s largest organization of ed school professors and researchers
    The Ed Schools’ Latest—and Worst—Humbug
    Obama’s Real Bill Ayers Problem
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 01:40 PM
    palpable anger?
    Some of the guys I knew (friends, classmates, relatives) ran away into hiding, some found a way to become 4F, some managed to get into college or get some girl pregnant for an education or fatherhood deferment, but some got drafted. Few wanted to fight that "conflict" (war had never been declared). There was no honor in it, and returning soldiers were disrespected by the American people. The Weathermen were trying to make a point--"Stop this war!" Three of their own died from their bombing, and one policeman died. What would you have done had you had a low draft number?

Those who excuse him as some sort of education reformer deny it but it is well know to anyone that's paid attention or looked deeper into Ayers than the MSM has this year.
    Yup. I figured you hadn't read any of his books on education.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Some of the guys I knew (friends, classmates, relatives) ran away into hiding, some found a way to become 4F, some managed to get into college or get some girl pregnant for an education or fatherhood deferment, but some got drafted. Few wanted to fight that "conflict" (war had never been declared). There was no honor in it, and returning soldiers were disrespected by the American people. The Weathermen were trying to make a point--"Stop this war!" Three of their own died from their bombing, and one policeman died. What would you have done had you had a low draft number?
    As to your last first, I would have served my country. My question is still how does any of the rest of it justify terrorism?

Yup. I figured you hadn't read any of his books on education.
    And that means I don't know enough about the man and his philosophy to know I don't want our education system following his agenda?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 01:53 PM
    As to your last first, I would have served my country. My question is still how does any of the rest of it justify terrorism?
    It doesn't, but this country was in bad shape, and each of us took whatever road we could to survive and to try to make it better.

And that means I don't know enough about the man and his philosophy to know I don't want our education system following his agenda?
    Yes, you don't know who he is and what his philosophy is as an educator.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 02:14 PM
    It doesn't, but this country was in bad shape, and each of us took whatever road we could to survive and to try to make it better.
    Quite frankly, my part of the country was just fine and I find it ludicrous to link Ayers' terrorism to surviving and trying to make the country "better."
    Yes, you don't know who he is and what his philosophy is as an educator.
    I've read enough Wondergirl, enough of his own words to know this is not a man I want teaching the teachers that teach our children. Why are you people defending this guy? Do you admire terrorists? As Ayers does, do you admire Chavez, Farrakhan, Che Guevara, Castro?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quite frankly, my part of the country was just fine
    Sorry, but there was no part of the country that was "just fine."

surviving and trying to make the country "better."
    The Weathermen wanted to get everyone's attention and they did. The people in charge finally noticed.
    I've read enough Wondergirl, enough of his own words to know this is not a man I want teaching the teachers that teach our children. Why are you people defending this guy? Do you admire terrorists? As Ayers does, do you admire Chavez, Farrakhan, Che Guevara, Castro?
    You've read only what you've been spoonfed--carefully selected prose. And, by the way, I am a Republican who is fed up big-time.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Sorry, but there was no part of the country that was "just fine."
    There isn't much more that I hate than people pretending to know my experience. Were you in Amarillo, TX from 1960 to 1975? It sure seemed pretty darn normal to me.

The Weathermen wanted to get everyone's attention and they did. The people in charge finally noticed.
    Ya think? When people go around bombing things people take notice. I think there's a much better way don't you?

You've read only what you've been spoonfed--carefully selected prose. And, by the way, I am a Republican who is fed up big-time.
    LOL, again, I love it when people tell me what I know. Is being a fed up Republican another excuse to defend terrorists?

By the way, I find it interesting after watching the "Obama lovefest" here that I would be told I'm being "spoonfed." LOL
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 04:15 PM
    There isn't much more that I hate than people pretending to know my experience. Were you in Amarillo, TX from 1960 to 1975? It sure seemed pretty darn normal to me.
    Remind me how old you were back then.

I know a librarian in Fairview. I'll give him a call to find out if he rememebers how things were in that area.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Remind me how old you were back then.
    Depends on the year. But so what, I have an excellent memory... plus I was actually there.

I know a librarian in Fairview. I'll give him a call to find out if he rememebers how things were in that area.
    Uh, Which Fairview, TX?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Depends on the year. But so what, I have an excellent memory... plus I was actually there.
    You were riding your bike and eating Mom's chocolate chip cookies and mostly oblivious, I suspect.
    Yup, that's the one -- right down the road from you. Or weren't you there in 1966?

Oct 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
    As tom and I have both pointed out Liddy served his time. As I pointed out elsewhere, Liddy's sentence was commuted by Jimmy Carter, he was accepted into the Hollywood club even appearing in an Al Franken comedy.

You people kill me. So John McCain's friends consist of "reformed" Nazi sympathizers, convicted criminals and a swindler (Keating) who stole almost 4 BILLION DOLLARS from people's savings. But this doesn't matter at all. Liddy's okay, because John McCain says it and Hollywood welcomed him so it must be so, right?

You know... a vote for McCain in the eyes of the world is a vote for America's decline. I don't know if the people here realize this. America is sinking right now. The world is waiting to see if we choose progress and something different than the status quo. This election is historic and I hate to tell you but you are on the wrong side of the fight, my friend.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
    You were riding your bike and eating Mom's chocolate chip cookies and mostly oblivious, I suspect.
    Let's see, it was on the evening news every night, I had relatives and friend's relatives serving and was getting closer to draft age while the war was still raging so yeah, I was fully aware of the war. Still, life was pretty normal around here.

Yup, that's the one -- right down the road from you. Or weren't you there in 1966?
    Uh, the map listed 10 different locations for Fairview, TX. The one right down the road from me is in the middle of nowhere 12 miles from the nearest highway and had population of 75 in the last census. I doubt seriously things were too out of control among a handful of farmers and ranchers.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:11 AM
    You people kill me. So John McCain's friends consist of "reformed" Nazi sympathizers, convicted criminals and a swindler (Keating) who stole almost 4 BILLION DOLLARS from people's savings. But this doesn't matter at all. Liddy's okay, because John McCain says it and Hollywood welcomed him so it must be so, right?
    This on McCain has all been sufficiently dealt with elsewhere on this board, and you still can't see the difference. McCain has acknowledged his lapses, dealt with Liddy being a friend and was completely exonerated in Keating. Obama does no wrong, admits nothing and moves the goal post as he sees fit. McCain has been thoroughly scrutinized in the media and Obama gets a pass. The public deserves such a thorough scrutiny of Obama.

You know... a vote for McCain in the eyes of the world is a vote for America's decline. I don't know if the people here realize this. America is sinking right now. The world is waiting to see if we choose progress and something different than the status quo. This election is historic and I hate to tell you but you are on the wrong side of the fight, my friend.
    You know, I think being on the right side of the fight is voting for my country's and my best best interest, I don't care what the rest of world thinks... they can have their own elections.

Oct 21, 2008, 05:32 AM

You know, I think being on the right side of the fight is voting for my country's and my best best interest, I don't care what the rest of world thinks...they can have their own elections.
    Like I said before. Isolationist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you press charges on this? [ 2 Answers ]

A girl I had been arguing with over text (b/c she slept with my boyfriend) showed up at my place of employment and falsely accused me of harassing her and selling drugs to try and get me fired. I n ever threatened her and she is also pressing charges on me... basically because I called her a slut....

Freedom of press [ 1 Answers ]

What should be guaranteed freedom of press besides newspapers? :)

Bench press [ 8 Answers ]

How should bench press be done? Right now I'm doing 4 sets of 10 reps at 50 pounds. Do I increase the weight after each set or start at about 100 pounds and decrease the weight after each set. What would be best to do to build mass?

View more questions Search