Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex3485 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Getting out of a Florida preconstruction condo
    We bought a preconstruction condo in Florida in 2006, that will be finished in the fall of 2009. We found out recently that the builder now wants to change a ceiling pop-out to hide electrical work and ducts for themselves. We were not disclosed this information nor agree to the changes, do we have any way out of this contract? The new plans change significantly the aesthetics of the ceiling, reducing the pop-out size by more than half, we are the only unit effect in the building.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 08:46 AM

I think it would depend on the wording of your contract. If it's not addressed I think you would have to take the contractor to court to either block the changes or attempt to get out of the contract.

Are you just not happy with these ceiling changes, or are you looking for a way out of your contract?

What has changed hands monetarily at this point?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 12:38 PM

Did he change the ceiling to save money or was there no other way to run the ductwork?
    If there was bad design, he could go against the designer if extra cost would have been involved to create the ceiling you wanted.
    I think the critical fact is whether it could have been built as designed or not. If not, you should have a chance to get out of the contract if you can prove it is a deal-breaking change. You should definitely not have to pay any additional. That should be between the contarctor and architect/designer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fellow condo owner not paying condo or any fees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all.. Hey, have a situation here with 3 condominiums, 2 pay all bills on time the other is about 5 months behind on all bills. This is rough as he has finally fallen behind enough to have tapped out the reserves and next month we (the other 2 condo owners) will finally have to start dipping...

Time Frame for Eviction of Tenant from Florida Condo [ 2 Answers ]

Any and all responses are much appreciated. We have a condo in Florida, with someone who has been there for several years. No contract with this gentleman, simply a verbal agreement, that has worked for us all throughout this time. We would like to kindly ask him to now vacate the condo, and are...

Condo association rights re:eviction in Florida [ 7 Answers ]

I have been living in a condo unit in Florida for 14 months. I rent from the unit owner, and I have never been late with the rent. I recently learned that unit owners must have their prospective tenants screened by the condo association (my landlord never shared that info. With me). The association...

Rights under preconstruction contract in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

I entered into a preconstruction contract in Miami about two years ago. We were recently told that one of the developers had backed out of the deal and as such, the project as originally described would not be going forward. The developers offered to refund us our initial 15% deposit with...

Condo lease in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Does condo lease have to be notarized?

View more questions Search