Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashishkothare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 03:41 AM
    Conecting 2 wireless routers to a single network
    Hi,
    I have a adsl connection which is through a wired adsl modem. Currently I have set this adsl modem as the DHCP server and connected my wireless router (Linksys WRH-54G)to it using the LAN port of the wireless router. Doing this I am able to access internet through other laptops or wireless devices as well. However, the signal of the wireless network dies out when I try to access it from one of my bedrooms.
    Since I already have a second wireless router(iBall iBaton), I was wondering if I could set that one up in some area so that it can allow me to connect with my existing network and also give me the required signal strength through my house. Could someone suggest how to do this, if it is possible. Or any other suggestions that might address my problem are welome.

Thanks,
    Ashish K.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2008, 05:39 AM

First, an ADSL modem does not function as a DHCP server. So that means you have a combination modem/router.

You could install the second wireless router with a wired connection to your modem/router or daisy chained to the Linksys. You would then set up that router to function as an access point similar to the way the linksys is setup.
    ashishkothare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, an ADSL modem does not function as a DHCP server. So that means you have a combination modem/router.

You could install the second wireless router with a wired connection to your modem/router or daisy chained to the Linksys. You would then set up that router to function as an access point similar to the way the linksys is setup.

Thanks ScottGem. Sorry for not mentioning that the adsl modem supplied is indeed a combination of modem/router. As per your advice, connecting the iball wireless router directly to the adsl modem is not possible as it(ADSL modem/router) has only a single LAN port which is already connected to the linksys wireless.
    Given the other option of daisy chaining it to the linksys, would it be possible to use the wireless connection to connect the 2 routers instead of a cable? I could be asking for too much but, connecting them using a cable would involve great deal of cabling as the 2 locations are diagonally opposite with number of walls between.

Any ideas?

Thanks & Regards,
    Ashish K.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2008, 06:54 AM

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is possible. I would check with tech support for iball to see.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 20, 2008, 09:57 AM

You can do this.

The second router will need a different IP address than the one that is actually connected to the Internet connection. You will also need to disable DHCP on the second one so that it will not hand out an IP address to some of your computers. This would be a problem in two different ways.

1) Each DHCP server must have a unique scope in which to hand out addresses on the same network.

2) It will hand out the Gateway Address to its DHCP clients. This would be the wrong gateway for the Internet connection.

You can use multiple DHCP servers on the same network but they must each be unique. They can each provide multiple gateway addresses but the gateway addresses must have a priority metric assigned to them. Having multiple gateways is generally frowned upon but not impossible. In your case, it is simply not required.

Example:
    Router 1 to ISP
    IP address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Enabled: YES
    DHCP Scope: 100-150

Router 2 in other part of house
    IP address: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Enabled: NO

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Wireless routers [ 1 Answers ]

My friends partner has bought her a wireless router for her for her home,he set it up through his laptop, when he is not there she can not get online without him being there with his laptop,(he does not live there), he has also put a password in without telling her what it is, how can she get round...

Wireless Routers [ 7 Answers ]

Im trying to find the best type of wirless routers and there price. Is there a site that reviews them simply? And easily? Or can someone recommend the brand worth getting. We need it to go through out our house. I already have broadband internet, however I want it so others in the house can...

Wireless Routers - Complete Novice Here! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi :) All this new technology gives me brain ache! So I would really appreciate the help of someone who understands about wireless routers and networks as I know practically nothing. Our main computer is a Sony Vaio laptop with XP professional, service pack 2. This computer belongs to work...

View more questions Search