Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALEXDAD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 02:47 AM
    Questions to birthmother
    I am in the process of lacating my step-daughters birth mother/family fpr her. I expect to have contact information in the very near future. She had empowered me to make contact and determine if contact would be in her best interest or if we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

I know there ar a thousand questions to ask a birth mother/family before committing to contact between her and the birth family. I am looking for some input from other adoptees as to what questions you would have asked had you to do it over again.

We are very protective of our daughter and want to shield her from any unpleasant /unsavory birth family members even if she is an adult and intend to do
    Confidential background checks to the extent that we can.

Are we being too paranoid?

Please help.

ALEXDAD
    :confused:
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 11:35 AM

As a birthmom, I would be absolutely THRILLED to hear my daughter wanted to meet me. However, the other birthmoms I've met seem to split into 2 groups---those that feel like I do, and those that just want to let sleeping dogs lie.

What kind of questions do you WANT to ask? I mean, frankly, for me the big one would be "Do you WANT to get to know your birthdaughter?".

From there, I don't know what to tell you. Unpleasant/unsavory birthparents? What---are you expecting these people to just look and act like they're going to be cruel or demanding of your stepdaughter on a first meeting?

Look... while I know that the state does a background check on adoptive parents, and a home study and all that jazz--it still comes down to a couple of pictures, a book that the adoptive parents make, and MAYBE a meeting when the birthparent has to choose who would make the best parents for her child.

Find the birthparents, run a background check if you must---but have a little faith that the people that chose a better life for her instead of raising her actually CARE about not hurting her, if they choose to meet her at all.

However--I'm from the era of open adoptions (mine is semi-open), and I know that adoptees over the age of 25 are more than likely to be part of a closed adoption.

The best advice I could give you would be to consult a counselor that specializes in adoption, and ask what he or she has to say.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 11:43 AM

Yes, I think that you need to first find out if they want to meet her, some will, some will not.

I am not sure that I would not use a third party, someone not related at all to do the first meeting.

Beyond that they could exchange letters ( monitored ) so they can find out more and see if a meeting will be of any desire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Questions about my cat [ 11 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my 1yr old cat, she's a very stubborn cat, she like getting on my fish tank. Im a cat lover but this cat is the only cat that I've had problems with. She's so set on her ways. I've been patiently trying to train her to be a good housecat. She was born wild but I got her...

Deceased birthmother drew SSI benefits. What are children eligible for? [ 16 Answers ]

A birthmother had 5 children. While alive she drew disability benefits. Not the kind where you become disabled after you have paid into the system, but the kind where you are disabled and never able to work. (She was diagnosed Manic Depressive.) Anyway, is there any money at all these kids are...

Chosen by the birthmother, BUT. [ 11 Answers ]

My wife and I have been chosen by a birthmother to adopt her baby girl. One huge obstacle--the birth father. The conception was out of wedlock and in her words, he has not had anything to do with the pregnancy. She states that he is a daily marijuana user and lives a 'hard life' and has always...

2 more questions [ 2 Answers ]

From the information below where does the rent revenue come in at? I am trying to figure out the income summary, but I can't figure it out so I can finish journalizing it. On the basis of the following data taken from the Adjusted Trial Balance columns of the work sheet for the Year...

View more questions Search