Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 01:20 AM
    Effort in a marriage
    I have been in a 4 year marriage and a total of 9 years with my man.

I have been feeling like my husband is slowly really losing interest in making an effort towards me for the last few months. Emotionally really not sexually.
    Few examples:-

He doesn't compliment me really anymore.
    If we are out with friends he takes pics of our friends and hardly ever of me. He sometimes sleeps on the sofa all night, wakes up, comes in bedroom to get changed and he just goes to work.
    He doesn't look at me with those eyes anymore. Usually for our anniversary he always buys me flowers - this year I didn't get flowers. Ok I know he didn't have a lot of monet but I think if you really want to buy something for someone you find the money somewhere :(

Its these little things that are hurting me. If I try bring it up he says I'm being silly. Am I?

Before he always treated me to little gifts now nothing. Since we got a mortgage I understand it can cause a strain financially and with both our salaryies we are still kind of broke.

I inherited some money a few years ago. I invested some and kept some aside for me and husband to enjoy.
    FOr example, I pay for take-outs, or a night out with friends. I treat him to a few clothes and also for myself.

I don't feel appreciated. He says thanks, but I feel its effortless.

Im so confused. Not sure if um making a big deal out of nothing or what.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Test
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 02:23 AM

Hi, Krs!

I haven't seen you around here in awhile. Welcome back!

No, you're not being silly by trying to communicate about something with him that is important for the both of you. He is the one who's being silly.

Have the two of you been to any counseling concerning what is happening between the two of you?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:00 AM
    Hi thanks :)

No we haven't!

This mornin he did the same. He slept on sofa last night - woke up at 9am. I was in bed awake - when he came in room I said morning - he muttered *morning* and then went to kicthen and left!
    So far no call or message!

I don't he understands how it hurts but annoys me also at the same time!

He is usually a lovely man my husband, but he surely suffers from moods sometimes and it kills me and irates me so much.
    Stubborn and moody.
    He says I'm moody!
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:08 AM

Thanks, Krs!

What are some of the things that you say to him when you try to bring up the issue about this, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:12 AM
    That I feel he doesn't appreciate me.
    He is a difficult man to talk to about these issues. When I try talk to him he doesn't even make eye contact and stays silent.
    vexation Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 19, 2008, 03:23 AM

Hello
    You love this man - and you love each other
    Don`t forget this - people do change maybe this is not about you so much - everyone is entitled to their moods - try not to make too much out of this you know him well - keep taking put your love back into him
    Remind him as to just how much you love him
    I know a man sometimes needs to be hugged
    Make time for each other and most of all make fun in life - bring each other back into the love -- it does take effort understanding and patience
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:23 AM

Him staying silent isn't good! Making eye contact can be a problem, but it's probably not the main one.

People can get into ruts as far as how they speak, interact and live with others.

Here's a suggestion for you, Krs. How about approaching him in a different way then you have, to make him think that you have a problem and that he is the only one that can help you with the problem?

Doing so can make him feel really important because he's the one that can help you with your problem. (Even though, he would appear to be the one with the problem.)

If your interested, then I will put how to do it in my next post.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:30 AM
    Yes clough :)
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 04:15 AM

This is a strategy for you Krs. You do something different that isn't part of the normal routine between the two of you.

What you say to him is, "I have a challenge that I'm facing, and you're the only one who can help me with my problem". "Would you please be willing to help me with my problem?"

Saying that can put him into the mind-set and subsequent position of thinking that he is the most important because he can be the one who is the only one who can help you with your problem.

From there, you describe the challenge that you are facing, without being accusatory or confrontational in any way, always bringing up the fact that it's your problem that you're trying to solve. You then ask him if he has any ideas as to how to help you to solve your problem.

Approaching him with different words and tactics might do the trick. I also think that the two of you going together to counseling would do some good. You've already been together this long. Things are going to change, in many ways, for the both of you as you grow together as a couple and also as individuals.

If there are particular needs that he might not feel are being met, but might not be able to verbalize about them, then it would be a good idea to ask him if there is something in his life with you that he might also be considered to be a challenge for him because of his needs and wants.

There is a book about dealing with all sorts of situations and people, that I consider to be a must read in learning strategies with how to cope. It's called "Winning Without Intimidation" by Bob Burg. I read it a number of years ago, and it made a world of difference in the way that I approach people in different situations.

You can read more about it by clicking on the following link.

Winning Without Intimidation Bob Burg - Google Search
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Right now he came in. He smiled I smiled back.
    Anyway I told him you didn't even come say bye to me this morning
    He said well I was busy - not in a very sweet voice.

And now.. he told me we are meeting his mum for tea at 4.
    We don't have hot water at home and I asked him if he got the battery for the water heater he said he didn't come across one.
    I said well how I am going to shower... he well I don't no, you could have bought the batteries yourself you are capable.! I know I'm capable but he is being so sarcastic with me and I thought he was going to try get some himself he even suggested a shop to me when he was moaning, so why coudlnt he go there himself. This all happened with 2 of his colleagues at our house.

What's his problem?

I really don't want to go for tea with his mum and aunt when he is in such a fowl mood!
    I know if I don't go with may cause more stress, but reight now I myself don't want to make an effort.
    Shall I stay home?
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 04:30 AM
    I will thanks Clough
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 04:55 AM

Don't blame him. Don't use any language where the two of you could get into an argument. Present things as though they are challenges for you and see what he says to that.

Please get that book. It will do you a world of good! It's a little pricey for as small as it is, but it's well worth the read!

I'm assuming that it's daytime where you are right now. Where I am, it's the very early hours of the morning. I need to get some sleep! Will look forward to further dialogue with you in the future!

I would like to know what other things you like to do. If you might be involved in any sort of arts activities of any kind, like music, theater, dance, visual, performing, etc. it would help to know that. There are a number of us here involved in those sort of things that are very supportive of each other in more than just those types of activities.

Thanks!

Later...
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 05:13 AM
    He got the battery but still is abit moody with me!
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:45 AM
    How can you change the role in a marriage of the who always makes an effort to clear the air if you had an argument or to send the first text message?

Its always been me.
    And I can't do it anymore.. I'm tried of it and feel I'm taken for granted.

Someone told me - someone has to do it in every relationship, she said that because her boyfriend is the one to always make an effort.

Help me
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 02:25 AM

Hi, Krs!

It sounds to me now that you need to be giving yourself a rest period, time for yourself and just chill for awhile! Spend some time with friends doing the things that you like to do, make a change of scenery for yourself, at least for a little while or maybe even tell your husband that you just need some time to yourself - and then do it.

If you read that book, you will learn about techniques that you can use that, hopefully will make a difference.

I'm sure that there will be others who will come along to respond to your post.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Ill do my best
    fmucikeked Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Hi KRS

I am a man and just went through this same stuff with my wife and I had feelings to where something was happening, she was like that for a long time and I found that she had turned gay on me I thought it was a stage that you women go through and then it turned to her doing it full time but she started to sleep in the chair and stay up watching TV until I went to sleep and when I first found out I didn't want nothing to do with her mentally or fiscally so now she blaims it on me but becareful and start to check around on things he does from a mans point there is something going on whether its cheating or what.

Good Luck
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 08:12 AM

You need to take an emotional break. Plain and simple.

Let the dust settle and the heads to clear.

Just step back, let him do his thing and you do yours. I didn't say ignore each other, polite is well worth it, just no pushing or expecting.

Give it a few days of peace, and no complaints, questions, or stress, and see where you both are.

That's the way my wife and I handle glitches, that pop up from time to time.

We stop pushing, and needling, and get busy with our own thing, for a while, just so we miss each other a little.

Doesn't matter how long you've been together, or how much you care, we all can get on each others nerves, sometime.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 12:15 AM
    No effort was made last night. None watsoever!
    Althou he gave me a kiss goodbye this morning.
    He is a boy and not a man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Last effort or stupidity [ 5 Answers ]

Well, been broken up about 7 months, some intermeiitent contact. Last time talked she mentioned she has seen other people, nothing serious though, myself the same. I still want something, she's unsure, loves seeing me and we have good time but not sure if can be happy like we were. She still has my...

Do I let go, or do I make an effort? [ 7 Answers ]

Well, this gets a little complicated. I am now 25 years old. This girl and I dated for a while (a little over a year) about 4 years ago. She broke it off by getting back with her old boyfriend. But we have kept contact since, talking often, hanging out often. She is in and out of...

Is the CFA worth the effort? [ 0 Answers ]

I would like to know if going through the CFA (chartered financial analyst) certification is really worth the effort when it comes to getting a good job, pay and knowledge. And what would be another certificate that complements the CFA. In other words, if I get a CFA what other certificate(s) is...

Feel like his not making an effort. [ 2 Answers ]

So I've been dating Jeremy for over 5 months now and we have been a Distant relationship from the get go. We met over the summer at work and he got transferred and moved soon after... we see each other 3 to 4 times a month due to scheduling but the good thing is that we only live a little bit over...

Boyfriend does not make an effort to meet me [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend says he loves me but he does not make an effort to meet me just me and him... his best mate says he is just not good with girls, but i don't know what to think. I keep on thinking about ending it with him, but i think i would regret it after cos i do really like him!!:( can people...

View more questions Search