Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ussdxb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Is this right ?
    Was told that I would get $62 dollars a hour for a prevailing wage when I got my check it was for less then half that amount I was told that I had to pay union dues and fees if that is true wouldn't I have to join the union or wouldn't there be paper work for it or at least have been told that first does this sound right over $1200 was taken from me shouldn't it have said $62 hour on my check and then have the deductions.
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Oct 18, 2008, 07:00 PM
    For starters mate, if you had to pay union fees, you would definitely of had to sign your signature on some paperwork. When I started working for my current company, I was given a detailed explanation of the union before being asked to sign paperwork.

If I was in your position I would ask to see all paperwork relating to my employment, and if there was none relating to the union and I did not receive a satisfactory explanation I would seek legal advice.

Here in Ireland I would phone the "Free Legal Advice Centre", your quoting dollars so your probably stateside, there should be a similar organisation, do a Google.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 07:17 PM

If it is a union job, then what union, ask to see the shop steward about your union membership.

On the pay, what union is the money going to, I will assume the receipt shows a deduction for union dues.
    mrkpow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 02:03 PM

I am alicensed contractor, just worked a prevailing wage job as employee for other contractor.
    Our pay rate was $38.00 hour. I claimed 7 dependents and my two co workers claimed 3.
    We all averaged about $30.00 hour take hope.
    Sounds like you might have problem.

We are having separate pay issue with our employer.
    Here is what you can do.
    Send certified letter to employer, tell them you are considering filing a wage claim with your state labor board.
    This may get you right or you may just have to file to get answer.
    Do web searc use your state and unpaid wages prevailing to find info.

Mark
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 19, 2009, 11:58 PM
    This is an old thread, but I'm interested in how it came out.

Was there a one-time union initiation fee deducted from your first check?

Was the $62/hour figure wages or wages plus fringes?

You also stated it was a prvailing wage job, but didn't say whether your employer was union. Occasionally, non-union contractors get prevailing wage contracts. They pay their workers prevailing wage while they are working on that particular contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search