Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    big oh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
    How do I retrieve information from my slave drive
    I installed a hard drive from my old computer into my new computer. I'm using the old drive as a slave. But how do I retrieve my old information from my old drive?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 05:41 PM

What was the old drive ? Was it your boot drive C: ? Is it now assigned another letter like D: drive ? If you used Fdisk then you may have erased everything on it.

Oct 18, 2008, 07:37 PM
    I did install as an f drive because I already have a drive for E. I installed this drive from an old computer and eanted to use it as a slave drive.. I really just wanted to get my music off it...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 01:00 AM

Hi, big oh!

Can you see the icon for the slave drive where you would normally see the icon for the drive of your current computer? If you can, then you should be able to either drag or copy what you want into an area or folder that you can create on the new drive.

Oct 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
    No I can't see an icon for the slave drive... but as soon as I hooked it up my computer recognized the new drive and labeled it as an F:.. I am so lost.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 08:38 AM

Do you still have your old system ? If so you might be lucky enough to put the drive back in it to recover your information. You can use a USB drive ( they are cheap now ) to recover your files. Was this drive your main boot drive in the old computer ?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 02:11 PM

If an IDE drive, you need to make sure the little e or black jumper on the hard drive itself is set to either

S - for slave
    CS - for cable select
    Not M - which would be master

When you put the old drive in the case, you need to make sure that the drive is connected to the gray ribbon cable in the middle connector and have drive set as slave or cable select

Above 2 conditions must exists
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    if an IDE drive, yu need to make sure the little e or black jumper on the hard drive itself is set to either

S - for slave
    CS - for cable select
    not M - which would be master

When you put the old drive in the case, you need to make sure that the drive is connected to the gray ribbon cable in the middle connector and have drive set as slave or cable select

above 2 conditions must exists
    It appears OP is seeing the drive. I think the question was how to get old information from it ( as it had been installed before in a different system ).

Qoute from OP:
    No I can't see an icon for the slave drive... but as soon as I hooked it up my computer recognized the new drive and labeled it as an F:.. I am so lost.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 02:22 PM

Just copy and paste info from F: to where you would like, c:

You can copy and paste or highlight and drag files to new location

This is for files that you want to move from old drive to new drive

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slave drive [ 2 Answers ]

How can I add another HDD as a slave.

I also need to retrieve files from hard drive. [ 3 Answers ]

In follow-up and conjunction with another question posted here, I, too, have a NTFS hard drive from another laptop computer that I need to access/salvage. I have already connected it via a USB drive enclosure (USB 2.0 to IDE). It still did not assign a drive letter; all right-click options are...

How to retrieve data from an old hard drive? [ 1 Answers ]

My old computer crashed. I removed the hard drive from it. I have a new computer with the same operating system (XP) and the same file system (NTFS). How can I retrieve the data from the old hard drive? I understand about making the old drive a "slave" drive but how do I get the system to recognize...

Transferring hard drive to run as slave [ 5 Answers ]

OK my old computers mother board fried.. so I got another computer same intel celeron same emachines brand but they both r using same mother board go figure... so I was going to try to slavage the information on the old hard drive and yes the computer recignises it perfectly fine shows up on my...

Retrieving information from an old hard drive [ 9 Answers ]

I have an old hard drive from 2003, with a lot of files and programs on it that I would like to retrieve and save to my new hard drive. I basically know how to install a hard drive... I recently exchanged my new hard drive for the old one to see what was on it. Unfortunately, my computer doesn't...

View more questions Search