Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsaah Posts: 66, Reputation: 0

Oct 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Carrier Cooling but not enogh
    Hi,

I have a carrier central air with gas furnace. The air is cool from the vents but I like it cold like on 62 to 58 degrees. I set it but it runs for several hours but not going down to my desire temp. I run the fan cotinuosly. Please tell me how I can get it cooler. Oh its 2 years old.

:m::m::m::m::m::m :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 05:46 PM

62 to 58 degrees is pretty cold for a household a/c,, has it or did it ever get house that cold to satisfy the thermostat and keep/hold the indoor temp. at that setting? That's working a condenser unit awfully hard.And yes I woud say it probably does run a lot if not all the time.. most household units are very lucky to keep the indoor temp. 15 degrees ,20 degrees at the most cooler than the outside temperature
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 05:58 PM

wmproop is correct. You will never get a residential ac unit to keep these temps. Most people are asking for heat when it hits 62 degrees. I would suggest putting an accurate thermometer directly in one of the supply vents. If you get a reading of 15 degrees less than the room temp, than your ac is working just fine. Sounds like you are asking the impossible from a residential cooling system. Sounds like you need to convert your house into a walk in cooler.lol

Oct 18, 2008, 06:11 PM

I think that a residential cmpressor should work can't the company make a compressor that is good and can get the air down to 58.

Oct 18, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Uno that some people like it cold.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 06:14 PM

What is the temp outside?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 06:20 PM

I would send the request to Carrier,ask them to special build you a unit to do what you need/want,maybe if you board up all the windows and put 8 to 10 inches of foam insulation around all your walls ,in the ceiling and the floors it would help what you have

Oct 18, 2008, 06:20 PM

Like 40 degrees

Oct 18, 2008, 06:21 PM
    No I am saying like in the summer uno.

Oct 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
    wmproop what I'm just saying that they should put that as a option. Im not saying they should.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 06:58 PM

You can have anything you want. But I guarantee, that if you want it to be 58 degrees in the house when it is 90 plus outside, it is going to cost you more than you want to spend. Ac units are not magical. Just for giggles, when do you turn your heat on, what temp are you comfortable at during the winter?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2008, 07:41 PM

I think you guys missed it. The AC would need to be oversized or sized for the desired indoor temperature. This would change the Manual J calcs, but you should end up with the right size for the desired indoor temp.

Your AC is working effectively if the outlet temperature to the evaporator is between 15 and 20 degrees.

Sounds like the OP wants a walk-in refrigerator.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 06:48 AM

I'm my experience, if you over size too much, you will have problems with freezing evap-coil, there for you would have to over size the furnace and duct work to get correct air flow, like I said, it can be done, but its going to cost a bit to do right. Residential AC is condidered a high temp refrigeration. Only designed to do so much.

Oct 19, 2008, 08:37 AM

I think that oversized Air condtioner for a residential house is going to cost you a fortune. + I think that its high maintenance. Oh well My heat is at 73 right now it is very good temp. In the summer I like it cold. And in the winter I like it hot. Don't ask me why but I do. I think that the freon should be charged in the unit every 5-6 year depending on how much you use it. I use my ac extesively. So I Don't know how much freon I use. Plus in the heat pump is very good at cooling but sucks at heating. I think that carrier should make a option were a packaged. Plus you need to know the right size return probably a return for every room. I think that putting four rigister in a room. Regurdless of the size of the unit. I know somebody that his room is cold through year. So he has to put the heat on 78 ( Gas Furnace) And he like it hot. Year around to when I like it cold year around.

Regurds to this conversation I think that The air should be cold. Oh how about it pulls the from outside when its cool like a cool pump sort of typa.

Sincerely,
    bsaah
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 04:37 PM

You should never have to (recharge) you ac unless there is a leak. If there is a leak it must be fixed. If no leak, then no need to charge. It is a sealed system. Your refrigerant should and will last throughout the life of your ac unit.
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

May 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Try medium temperature refrigeration equipment, but condensation will be a big issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geothermal heating and cooling bryant vs carrier [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am having geothermal heat/cooling put in. In my proposal, it lists- and I paid for a Bryant GTP-50YDVO49JCB301 4 ton forced air heat pump w/desuperheater and a Bryant GS-W O601CFCS 5 ton hydronic heat pump to be installed. Yesterday, a Carrier 50YDV049JCB301 was brought in. I noticed the...

Carrier unit popping and triping not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our unit is not cooling and triping outside breaker, a carrier tech came out and said " system check good, charge good, amp draw on compressor good 18, so my husband replace the outside fuse and cooled well but know it is still running ,not cooling and tripping breaker, and know there is a pop...

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

Ac not cooling [ 9 Answers ]

My wife works in a building where the air conditioner is not cooling. Last year, several serivce people came out and tinkered with it. The unit is upstairs in an attic which isn't cooled. It leaks down into the bottom floor and runs constatnly. It never reaches the temp set at the thermostat. ...

Carrier heat pump not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our Carrier heat pump is not cooling our house. This is the first time it has been on for cooling this year. The system is running outside and the system inside is running and cool to the touch, but nothing is coming out the vents. It sounds like the fan is running. The thermostat is set for 72...

View more questions Search