Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klays Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
    I want to live with my mom
    Im 16 and I live with my dad, but I want to live with my mom. She doesn't have the money to pay for a laywer to get custody of me... is there another way that doesn't cost a lot?
    insomniaticmeat Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Oct 18, 2008, 02:18 PM

Man that's harsh.. I don't know of a way I mean I don't understand the laws in wherever it is your from.. but I know in courts cases its usually up to you and your word makes a big diffrence to who you end up living with vocalise what you want and watch things happen...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 02:23 PM

You ask your dad to let you, if he will let you then you go move with her.

I will say that if you go to court they will look at what you want, but will also look at what is best for you.

I would ask why you got to be with your dad in first place, since it is more common to be with mother
    melissashumate Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2009, 09:25 PM

You are 16 now you are aloud to decide what you want (to an extent) and you are aloud to decide where and who you want to live with.I would voice your concerns to both your parents and tell them how you feel I hope everything works out for you
    stepmom609011 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2009, 07:16 PM

Definitely talk to your parents. One of my stepkids wanted to move in with us, and we said yes and her mom let her. There were no judge or lawyers involved. Just remember, there are kind ways to say hard things, so keep in mind that this might be a very difficult thing for your dad to process. Bring it up and give it some time. Best wishes!
    GeorgeMcCasland Posts: 42, Reputation: -5
    -

Mar 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
    A Child's Choice: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Choose Which Parent To Live With?

How about getting joint custody of them?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    BIRD NEST CUSTODY

It’s a form of access or custody where the children stay in the former family residence and it is the parents who rotate in and out separately and on a negotiated schedule.

The children simply live at "home" and the separated or divorced parents take turns living with them there, but never at the same time.

The core element of this arrangement is that each parent maintains a separate residence where they live when it is not their turn at the "bird's nest". When one parent arrives for his/her designated time, the other vacates right away, so as to minimize or eliminate the presence of both at the same time.

At times, bird's nest access can be coupled with specified access with the other parent say, for example, for dinner one night a week.

Sometimes, this form of access or custody will end when the youngest child reaches the age of majority at which time, one parent either buys the other out of their interest, if any, in the former family residence, or it is sold and the proceeds divided pursuant to the matrimonial property regime or separation agreement.

The arrangement can be expensive as it generally requires that three separate residences be maintained, the "nest" and a separate residence for each parent.

The concept is somewhat novel and appears to have as its origin a Virginia case Lamont v Lamont.
    In Canada, Greenough v Greenough was a ground-breaker case in that the Court implemented a bird's nest custody order even though it had not been asked for by either party. Justice Quinn, in Greenough stated:

"In Lamont ... the court made a bird’s nest custody arrangement in which the children (aged 3 and 5 years) remained in the home, with the mother staying in the home during the week and the father on the weekend. I think that the benefits of a bird’s nest order are best achieved where the children are able to stay in the matrimonial home, particularly if it has been the only residence that they have known....

"Time and time again I have seen cases (and this is one) where the children are being treated as Frisbees. In general, parents do not seem to appreciate the gross disruption to which children are subjected where one of the parents has frequent access. In this regard, I do not believe there must be evidence that the children are suffering before the court is free to act. To me, it is a matter of common sense. At the risk of falling prey to simplistic generalities, I am of the view that, given a choice, I do not see why anyone would select a living arrangement which involved so much movement from house to house."

GiveKidsAChoice : Bird Nest Custody

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should live with my mom [ 8 Answers ]

I don't know if I should move in with my mom because I'm really doing good and I know my dad wants me to live with him but he checks my mail email and everything I have no privacy to and I want to live with my mom because she doesn't yell she talks to me and my dad usto but now he doesn't and I...

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

I can't live on with out my ex [ 5 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend likes another girl && when I came in the door. I found them together && I started crying when I left to my locker without him noticing. I really love my ex boyfriend really much & I can't live without him. I got really upset when his friends told me that he likes another girl. I...

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search