Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rose11575 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Should grand parent have visitation rights?
    I'm not married to the baby's daddy and I don't want his mother to take care of my baby because she said when I was pregnant that she was not going to baby sit. I'm working now and she gets mad because I don't want her to take care of my baby. Now she wants to take me to court to get visitation rights. I never told her she could not see the baby all I said was that she couldn't baby sit her. What should I do. Does she even have a right to take me to court?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Generally, no.

However, it does depend on where you live and the quality of lawyers you have.

Also, where is the daddy? Does he have any kind of custody or visitation? If he does, the odds are grandmother won't be able to get visitation rights.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 2, 2006, 11:21 AM
    It all depends on where you live. Here in the US certain states, such as Michigan, will grant what they called grandparent rights. At a law firm I worked for there was a woman who sued for visitation of her grandchildren and she won because she was able to prove that she could provide a stable environment for the children.

So, yes it does happen. You might remind the grandmother that while you were pregnant she specifically stated that she would not babysit and, therefore, that is specifically why you do not ask her to babysit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Many US staes do allow and honor grand parent visitation rights, if you live in one of those states, you best idea is to keep in good and work out something that is good for you.

Next so what that she said something when you were expecting, people say a lot of things and are latter sorry for them. She is trying to help and you seem to be hateful for someone offering to help.
    impalacon Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Is this grandmother a good person? If so, why not allow your child to have a relationship with her. There is nothing in this world like the relationship between a grandchild and grandparents. Lasting memories.
    Doublell Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
    I just joined this site yesterday and wrote about this very thing. My daughter is holding my granddaughter hostage because I won't put with her bad behavior towards me. I don't know enough info and I am the maternal grandmother so I may seem a little biased. While my daughter is a little witch she is a great mother. What do you know about the dad's mother? Is she a decent person. My daughter had a biracial child and while I am not a bigot I know my daughter did not know the father for very long. I am curious if you know anything about the child grandmother because believ me I said the very same thing. This baby is my world and I can't see her because my daughter is on another "roll". Anymore info about the grandma
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 3, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Your daughter will one day regret her decision. Be there for her and the children when she comes to her senses. I have been there.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2006, 01:55 PM
    I agree that grandparents who are good, stable people should have access to their grandchildren. Grandparents can play a very important and nurturing role in a child's life.

However, the idea of legislation giving them basically the same rights as parents makes me a bit nervous. I would feel very uncomfortable if I was forced to leave my children with my biological mother. She was deceased before I ever had children, but she suffered from chronic schizophrenia. This illness waxed and waned throughout the years, and there were times when she seemed very "normal" to outsiders, when in reality she was still pretty scary to be with. If she was still alive, I would likely still have a relationship with her and let her see my children, but I would want to be there to supervise and control the visits. Given my past experiences with her, it would be very distressing to to be forced by a court of law to let my mother see and take the children, the same way as if she were my spouse. And I think this would be a concern for anyone who has had a parent who was extremely ill, abusive, an addict, etc.

But as I say a "normal" grandparent is a very good influence in a child's life. I just think any legislation would have to be very carefully worded so that a grandparent like my mother was not given too much access.
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Aug 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
    If you can work it out yourself, it is so for the best because if she goes to court and does get some visitation rights, then it is set in court and it is will be under their control. If you initiate it, you have the control. Much easier, because you are the mom. I do think grandparents are very good for children, that is if they are responsible loving people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Grandmother's Visitation Rights [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter has a 1 yr. old son and she is married to my grandson's father. My daughter will let me see my grandson but her husband says that I cannot see him. I cared for this child from the day he was born until just before his 1st birthday and now I am denied the right to see him. What are...

Are visitation rights the same in Texas as for all states? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a brother living in the Valley whom has recently divorced and has the typical every other weekend visitation rights. However, he seemly has the kids several times during the week as well as many weekends for the month. Recently, my brother had to fire one of his asistant managers and that...

Visitation rights [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a new law about visitation rights for the noncustodial parent? Thanks,Roxpate

Step parent [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about step parents rights? Do we have any? Where do I look to find out more?

View more questions Search