Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hjschmitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Capacitors to boost low generator output on motors
    I have a Honda 2000 watt generator that I love, but it is operated at 9000 foot elevation, and we are trying to use it to operate a low lift pumping system. The pump is 1/2 HP, and draws 4.4 amps full load 120V and rated at .37Kw. Problem is starting under load. The start capacitor on it will not always give the motor the kick to get it up to full speed 3600RPM. When it does the pump runs just fine. Can I add capacitors across the line to the motor to give it a little extra kick on start up, and if so, how do I size these, and what type
    Thanks for any help
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2008, 11:48 AM

No, but you can add a "Hard start kit" like this one:

HVACR > Controls > Cooling Equipment Relays > Hard Start Assist Kit : Grainger Industrial Supply

Granger is wholesale only, though.
    jonskachi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Please how can I boost the output of a 900watt generator to 2000 watts or more to carry more loads.I need the circuit diagram.
    Thanks and waiting,
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonskachi View Post
    please how can i boost the output of a 900watt generator to 2000 watts or more to carry more loads.I need the circuit diagram.
    Thanks and waiting,
    Duplicate post: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ml#post3157777

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable generator No Output [ 21 Answers ]

I have a Generac 5500 Watt generator model 09778-3 that has approx 5 hours of total use on it. I went to use it a couple of weeks ago to power a 1-1/2 HP pump that draws approx 9 amps at 240 volts. I had used this generator for this purpose before with good results. This time the generator ran...

Generator power output cuts in and out [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a Coleman Generator a few months ago and I have it connected to an inverter. The inverter is connected also to 16 "deep cycle" batteries and usually powers the house from solar panels. Everything has been working terrific until last night when the generator began cutting in and out. It...

Generator is giving no output [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could help with my 2.5 kw diesel generator I started it up and it run it all day no problems then it cut the engine out and I tried starting it again and I would not start so I switched the 240v switch to 110v switch and then it started and run fine but when I switched...

Most output from generator [ 6 Answers ]

I plan on buying a portable generator to hook up my house for emergency power, going to instal a manual transfer switch. I was wondering most generators have numerous outlets on them do I have to rewire the panel on the generator to get max output or does the 240 receptacle put out the max, I plan...

View more questions Search