Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helloworld Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2003, 12:27 AM
    Egypt Bank Money launderring through me
    Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take the money. But the problem was this bank needed a direct relative from the US to receive the money. So, stupid me I said I am from the US and I am the relative of this couple, which of course I wasn't. I sent them the papers to show I was related (oh please don't ask me how I did it, but I did :-[). One thing after another, this year today, they called me and said they can wire me the money. But the MAIN problem is the couple's real daughter who is also the only living relative is still alive in CANANDA ( I found that out later after I had said I had sent the papers to show my relationship with the dead couple when I researched on the couple through their association in CANADA).

So, what should I do? Should I accept the money or not ? And why didn't they contact the couple's only remaining survivor--their only living daughter who is 22 yrs. Old by now? Well, I knew it sounded too good to be true but, I stupidly send the papers anyway. So now the Egyptian bank got me tailed and they say they want a cut of the money when I get it. They said they are willing to fly over to the US and get their share. Im thinking they could easily afterwards then run with the money and leave me high and dry doing time in jail. I don'twant to report to the FBI because I started this whole mess, and I can't contact the daughter in CANADA because I'm aleady in deep with faking my relationship with the dead couple.

Oh please, oh please will all you experts sho me how to get out of this crazy mess? Thank you very much! :-X :'(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 24, 2003, 05:51 AM
    Re: Egypt Bank Money launderring through me
    I imagine you'll get lots of replys on this. Let me be the first. THIS IS A SCAM!! There is no money. The next step of the scam will be to ask you to give them your bank account number and PIN so they can transfer "The Millions Of Dollars" to you. You, of course, will be allowed to keep a percentage for letting them use your account for the transfer. The final stage of this scam will be when they drain your account of all its money. DROP IT NOW! Cease any more communication except to tell them you're not available. THEN, NO MORE COMMUNICATION. You're not in deep water yet. They don't toss you in the slammer for being naïve. I have got E-mails from Nigeria Africa from saying that they heard I was a honest man,( How I don't know) and would I be willing to accept 25 million they were attempting to get out of the country. For this I would get a percentage for using my account. One more time, BEWARE! SCAM IN PROGRESS! And you're it. Back off and count yourself lucky you asked someone about bit before it went any further. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't. Good luck, Tom
    helloworld Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2003, 07:01 AM
    OK thank you very much speedball. ;D You really help me ease my worry now that I hear you also had this same experience. I been really scared about this all day and night and I had to get up this early this morning to check on any response. I did as you suggested. Im ignoring all their e-mails and phone calls. Im going to change my e-mail, telephone # and even going to move to another place, just to make sure they don't track me down. By the way speedball, do you know if there is a way that I can track down their e-mail account? I mean is there a way to find out where their e-mail is really coming from. My sense tells me that they may actually be right here in the US. Do you supposed so? THank You very much speedball for taking the time out to explain to me about the truth. Now I feel much better now. ;D :D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2003, 08:02 AM
    Whoa! :o Not so fast with the paranoia. Nobody's going to single you out and come after you. They shoot these scams like spam hoping someone will bite on it. You're just one of countless many that were contacted. You called attention on yourself when you responded, so they called you. Your concerns that this might be a U.S.A. operation are groundless. The only reason they can't be arrested for fraud is that they really are in Africa. Once they get their greedy little paws on your bank account and drain it they just shut down and fade away to open another site looking for another sucker. I would respond one more time to their E mails and tell them that you are no longer interested in their offer. If they persist then I would copy their E-mails and send them mto MSN along with a complaint that you are being harassed.. One more time. RELAX! YOU'RE NOT THE GUILTY PARTY. YOU'RE THE PONTENTIAL VICTEM IN ALL THIS. :'( So cheer up! ;D You're not in any trouble and you still have your bank account. You're ahead of the game. Just cease any more communication after you tell them you're not interested and they'll look for someone else. Remember what I told you. If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't!! Cheers, Tom
    1forhope Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
    Yes, Yes, Yes, as you already know, this is a SCAM!! It is interesting that just today I received such an e-mail/request... if you have a hotmail or Yahoo, I will send the letter to you to show you. You can compare it to yours... similarity, etc.

Let me see if I can cut and paste the letter I received TODAY. Looks like I was able to cut and paste it. I was alarmed that I had received something of confidentiality by accident, that I really didn't want to be aware of. An Attorney friend of mine told me it was a scam.

Dr. Fana Khaba

Tel/Fax : 27 11 507 5618

Hello,

I am Fana Khaba, Director of Projects, South Africa Department of Minerals &
    Energy. I am making this contact with you based on the committee's need for
    an individual/company who is willing to assist us with a solution to a funds
    transfer.

In unfolding this proposal, I want to count on you, as a respected and honest
    person to handle this transaction with sincerity, trust and confidentiality.
    I have decided to seek a confidential co-operation with you in the execution
    of the deal described hereunder for the benefit of all parties and hope you
    will keep it as a top secret because of the nature of this transaction.

Within the Department of Minerals & Energy where I work as a Director of
    Project and with the co-operation of two other top officials, we have in our
    possession as overdue payment bills totaling Twenty - Two Million, Five
    Hundred Thousand U. S Dollars (US$22,500,000.00) which we want to transfer
    abroad with the assistance and co-operation of a foreign company/individual
    to receive the said funds on our behalf or a reliable foreign non-company
    account to receive such funds. More so, we are handicapped in the
    circumstances, as the South Africa Civil Service Code of Conduct does not
    allow us to operate offshore account hence your importance in the whole
    transaction.
    This amount (US$22.5m) represents the balance of the total contract value
    executed on behalf of my Department by a foreign contracting firm, which we
    the officials over-invoiced deliberately. Though the actual contract cost
    have been paid to the original contractor, leaving the balance in the tune of
    the said amount which we have in principles got approval to remit by
    Telegraphic Transfer (T.T) to any foreign bank account you will provide by
    filing in an application through the Justice Department here in South Africa
    for the transfer of rights and privileges of the former contractor to you.

I have the authority of my partners involved to discuss on the modalities of
    sharing with you. Your share of the entire sum will be US$5Million(22.2%), US
    $10.5Million(46.6%)for us and US$7Million (31.1%) for taxation and
    miscellaneous expenses. The business itself has a minimal risk factor, on
    your part provided you treat it with utmost secrecy and confidentiality.
    Also, your area of specialization is not a hindrance to the successful
    execution of this transaction. I have reposed my confidence in you and hope
    that you will not disappoint us.
    I wait in anticipation of your fullest co-operation. I am available on my
    confidential telephone/fax lines above to entertain any questions concerning
    the clarity of this transaction.

Thank you in anticipation of your co-operation.

Best Regards,

Fana Khaba.

psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 24, 2004, 09:37 PM
    These things are nasty.

The other day I got a PayPal "Verify Your Identity" e-mail (to an account that wasn't even registered on paypal.) It was replete with HTML and graphics -- looking just like an "official" paypal customer e-mail. It even was designed to load images from paypal's website -- which in fact was a poor decision, because I told my e-mail client not to allow a message to load "external references," so the unloaded images were a definite "bad thing" sign.

]
    Dear paypal user, We would like to inform you that we are upgrading our server to install a better protection software. So please click here [hyperlink removed] and fill in the registration form again to renew your account.

Paypal Administration.

Thank you for a using PayPal!
    The link was to an IP address I didn't recognize.

The moral here is, always check where links go. Actually, you should go to the official website yourself and see if the message really was valid or not, which it won't be. No legitimate company is going to ask you to "verify" your credit card number.

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TD Took Money from my Bank - Ontario SOL [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I desperately need some help! Today TD Bank took money out of my chequing acct for a TD GM Visa I had 7 yrs ago that was written off when I was younger. I went to the bank and they told me that the last activity on the acct was in Sept 1999. Is there an SOL in Ontario, Canada? Can...

Bank interest [ 3 Answers ]

The interest my bank is paying is pitiful. I have heard that there are online banks which give a much higher percentage than what I am receiving locally. How does one find a reliable bank like that and how would I get started? We invested in a Federal Agency step up note<?> which is paying 3+%...

Mass Rioting, Destruction of Churches and Bibles in Egypt [ 2 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://mychristianblood.blogspirit.com/arc...alexandria.html Mass Rioting, Destruction of Churches and Bibles in Egypt International Christian Union and The American Coptic Association

Bank problems [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a couple of watercraft from my father-in-law last year. I paid off the loan to the WF bank at that time, and never received the titles. Since the titles were in his name he was the one that requested the titles be sent. Nothing ever happened. Fast forward one year later, my...

Bank Reconciliation help [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of doing a bank reconciliation in Great Plains accounting software. However, the checkbook is very messy; checks that were dated in 2002 are still in the system. So there is no way I can reconcile, unless I have to clean up all those messes and start fresh. My goal...

View more questions Search