Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    02dodgeman Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Judgment on real estate
    In North Carolina can someone put a judgment against one person on their real estate property if the property is co owned by more than one persons. ( my brother had a judgment against him in 99 and purchased a condo in 2000 with my parents, he moved out and they were trying to sell when we found out about the judgment from the realitor ) Was this judgment wrongfully attached to this property? And if not can it be sold through the realitor and the judgment be paid after selling because they don't have enough money to pay it off prior to selling. Thanks for your input...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 09:56 AM

Yes it can be attached if there was a judgement and he is listed on the deed as owner.

The property will have to be sold for enough to pay off any mortgage and the judgement.

If there is not enough money in the sale of the property the property may be stopped from being sold unless they will release the lien.
    John WA Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Actually, only his half interest (or whatever it is) can be attached if his name is on the title.

I had half interest in a property w a partner who got all her RE foreclosed on by Ocwen and all parties recognized that nothing they were doing had anything to do w my half interest, as I hadn't agreed to pay O anything and my 1/2 was owned free and clear.

Then, after the foreclosure of my P's half interest, Ocwen and I cooperated on listing the property with a local RE agent and selling it to new buyer.

O had to deal with me and could have done almost nothing without my help.

If your parents are occupants of the property they have a very strong claim of possession and occupancy and your B's lender is going to be forced to get along with them in order to get to your B's debt to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate Law [ 6 Answers ]

I need to find out if a lien was placed against my home. How did I do that?

Real estate law [ 2 Answers ]

What is the definition of tenants by entirety

Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

Could a quitclaim deed be overturned. I signed a quitclaim deed about 6 months ago. I want my name back on the title . Could this happen in my favor.

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search