Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Umesh ChandaRam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 07:31 AM
    What is the difference between debit and credit.
    Difference between debit and credit
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 08:29 AM

Credit is into your account, debit is out of your account.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Oct 18, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Debit = left (represented by assets and expenses)

Credit = right (represented by liabilities, equity and revenue)
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 01:03 PM

pready, why is my post innacurate. When banking, I debit my account and take out money, when crediting my account I put in money. So what is innacurate about that? For heavens sake, I have been banking since I was l6, I am now 66, give me a break!!

Anyone knows that who has a debit card for doing purchases in stores.

The OP didn't indicate it was an accounting question.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 01:04 PM

In Accounting there are what's called T-accounts for every account.

The T-account has three sections.
    The account name goes above the T or in the top section.

The Debit is on the Left side or Section of the T.

The Credit is on the Right side or section of the T.

A Debit in an Asset or Expense Account Increases the Balance while a Credit Decreases the Balance

A Credit in a Liability, Equity, or Revenue Account Increases the Balance while a Debit Decreases the Balance.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Tickle,

In accounting a Debit is the left side of a T-account while a Credit is the right side of a T-Account.

For an example if your company receives cash for providing a service to a customer then the company will Debit Cash for the amount of Cash received and Credit Service Revenue for the amount Received.

If the Customer is a Business then they will Debit an Expense Account for the amount paid and Credit Cash for the amount paid.

In Accounting Debits equals Credits.
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation, pready, much appreciated, but the OP is not saying it is an accounting issue. I do recognize your expertise from previous accounting issues though.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 02:11 PM

Tickle when you put money into a checking account the Bank credits your account because they owe you the money. In other words it is a Payable account to the Bank.

You would Debit the amount on your Books.

When the Banks makes a payment on your account they Debit their payable Account and you would credit your account.
    ryan2440 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 09:22 PM

Debit is on the left side of a T account, and that is the side were money or owners equity will go when you are adding to the company.

Credit is on the right side of a T account, and that is for if you are taking money away from the business.
    muslimrao Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2008, 01:08 AM

A easy rule to learn Credit - Debit (entry)

WHAT COMES ON - DEBIT
    WHAT GOES ON - CREDIT.

Example..- You bought a car for Rs. 180,000.00

simple. what comes to you i.e. CAR make it debit and what goes from your side is CASH, make it credit. now make entry

CAR... 180,000.00
    ... CASH... 180,000.00
    davide1982 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 02:18 AM

Difference between debit and credit could be fully understood if you have a basic understanding of how accounting works. I'd recommend below article for you:

How accounting works
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 02:39 AM

davide1982, this thread is from 2008. And that link is not a very good one because it's not actually teaching debits & credits (only vaguely mentions them at the end), and books don't use negatives for the credits like that. That's only going to confuse people... it's hard enough getting people to get the idea that charging something is not a negative to the payables account.

tickle, as long as someone dug up this old thread (and I wasted time reading it) - it's sort of obvious to me that the OP did mean it as an accouting issue. For one, no one would probably ever ask such a question if they were referring to their bank debit card. And second - it's in the Accounting forum. :-) (Granted, old thread and old issue.)

And pready, I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone explain that whole debit/credit thing from the bank's side correctly. I really get tired of hearing that banks "do things backwards." I even hear accountants say that, which I find sad.
    davide1982 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 12:22 AM

morgaine300, "teaching debits and credits" can't go separately without teaching double entry concept, assets-liabilities, income-expenditures... that's why I've advised that link. If you have you own way to explain what debits and credits mean, without even mentioning any other accounting principle I'd appreciate to see it)
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 01:50 PM

A debit is the left side of a T-account and a credit is the Right side of a T-account.

An example is Depreciation:
    Depreciation Expense account will have a Debit when you charge deprecian for equipment, and Accumulated Deprecian will have a corresponding credit.

When your Expense Accounts are closed your depreciation expense account will have a credit and your income summary account will have a corresponding Credit amount.

Notice this example does not involve cash at all!!
    nympha_joseph Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 17, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Difference between debit and credit.
    There are three types of accounts.
    Real Account: where the rule is DEBIT what comes in
    CREDIT what goes out.
    A real account is used for all assets

Nominal Account: Rule: DEBIT all expenses
    CREDIT all Incomes or revenues

Personal account: Rule: DEBIT the receiver
    CREDIT the giver.

Remember this hint : DEAD
    D: Debit
    E: Expenses
    A: Assets
    D: Debtors

CLIC:
    C; credit
    L: Liabilities
    I: Income or revenues
    C: Creditors
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davide1982 View Post
    morgaine300, "teaching debits and credits" can't go separately without teaching double entry concept, assets-liabilities, income-expenditures........ that's why I've advised that link. If you have you own way to explain what debits and credits mean, without even mentioning any other accounting principle i'd appreciate to see it)
    Did you read what I wrote. I did not say that explaining the double entry concept was not important. Nor did I say anything like "without even mentioning any other accounting principle..." Did I? You want to quote where I said or implied either of those things?

What I did say was that I thought the link was a bad example and that it might just serve to confuse people. I didn't say that everything it said was irrelevant -- I indicated what I thought was confusing about it. If you don't know what that was, reread my post. The link doesn't really explain debits & credits themselves at all. While you're stating that I think you can explain debits & credits without mentioning other accounting principles (which I never said), the link explains other accounting principles without explaining debits & credits. Get it?

Yes, I have my own way of explaining it, and I do know what generally confuses students, because I've been teaching it for 14 years. However, trying to thoroughly explain debits & credits in a post on a forum like this can be difficult. Since it's an old post, I'm not going to spend time answering the OP's question. As for explaining to anyone else, considering there's a lot to it, I'd rather address specific questions about it. I was addressing your post, not trying to answer the OP.
    Expert

May 21, 2009, 03:48 PM

I had to read this whole thing again to get rid it off my profile. I hate math, but with on line banking I don't have to worry about balancing my cheque book anymore. I am not really that dumb, just challenged with numbers and too busy with other things like being a superhuman delivering healthcare to a few needy seniors and just hoping they are not going to pass away on me before I get to them. Long story, just visit the posts re 'socialized medicine'. Be happy and enjoy your weekend !

Tick
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 04:04 PM

You do realize you just stuck in back into your profile again by answering it, right? LOL :-)
    Expert

May 21, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    You do realize you just stuck in back into your profile again by answering it, right? LOL :-)
    Yup, but thanks for the reply, morgaine !

You wouldn't happen to be from the east coast US, would you ? Just curious

Best regards

Ms tickle !
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 08:41 PM

No, from the midwest. Any reason you ask?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debit or Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi If using the perpetual inventory system what is the impact of COGS if the company sells inventory? I think it would be a credit but I get really confused re debits/credits :rolleyes: Thanks for your help.

Debit or credit [ 1 Answers ]

On October 1, 20x1, the Jernnigan Company paid $4800 for a one-year insurance policy. On December 31, 20x1, the adjusting entry would include a. a debit to Insurance Expense, $3,600 b. a credit to Insurance Payable, $1,200 c. a credit to Prepaid Insurance, $1,200 d. a debit to Insurance...

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

Debit and credit [ 2 Answers ]

What's the diffeent between debit and credit

View more questions Search