Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Earvin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Designation beneficiary
    If a family member name me in a insurance policy along with his/her three kids, and name me as guardian with and equal split do I receive any monies even with the other parent still living?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 06:27 PM

If the other parent isn't mentioned, he or she isn't a beneficiary.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 07:36 PM

Well of course you don't get any insurance money till the person dies. Plus of course they can not name you guardian of the children in the life insurance policy. They can in their will ask for you to be the one to watch over the children, but the court will decide who will be, if there is another bio parent ( can't tell if you are a parent or a friend)

Oct 17, 2008, 08:00 PM

The person is deceased. I was name as a Guardian ONLY for the insurance policy not physical custody. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Oct 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    well of course you don't get any insurance money till the person dies. Plus of course they can not name you guardian of the children in the life insurance policy. They can in thier will ask for you to be the one to watch over the children, but the court will decide who will be, if there is another bio parent ( can't tell if you are a parent or a friend)

The person is deceased. I was name as Guardian ONLY for the insurance policy and not physical custody. Sorry if I wasn't clear. He wife is trying to collect my share. She is contesting the word Guardian. When the policy was made they were separated and the kids were minors
    He was my brother.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 08:16 PM

Yes, poor wording, trustee of the money with the money put into trust would be better.

Most likely she is claiming that she is the legal guardian and the policy was to pay to the guardian not really to you. Is that about the idea of the case?

Are the kids still minors?

I doubt she has a case if you were named since life insurance money does not go into the estate

Oct 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If the other parent isn't mentioned, he or she isn't a beneficiary.
    Can she collect my share if one of the kids a minor? She contesting the word Guardian. Only for the policy not physical custody

Oct 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, poor wording, trustee of the money with the money put into trust would be better.

Most likely she is claiming that she is the legal guardian and the policy was to pay to the guardian not really to you. is that about the idea of the case?

Are the kids still minors ??

I doubt she has a case if you were named since life insurance money does not go into the estate
    Only one is a minor, the others are adults and have already collected. Keep in mind I was name and to collect 25%

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPA Designation and Marital Asset [ 6 Answers ]

In Iowa or any other state can a Certified Public Accountant's CPA designation be a marital asset in a divorce case?

Importance of a designation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the Iimportance of designation ?

View more questions Search