Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hippa2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Hippa violation
    I had out-patient knee surgery and didn't get out of the hospital until almost midnight. So the next day I had someone take my perscription and get it filled for me. Just a pain med so I thought nothing of it. Imagine my surprise when I found out the pharmacist came to him and blerted out "Does she still take her HIV medicines??"!! He didn't know who this person was to me... and didn't know if this person knew anything about any of my medical issues. This was actually at Wal-Mart so it's not a little family chain or anything! As you know this is a sensative matter and not something that you just go telling anyone and everyone about! Because of this, there are family members, so called friends and co-workers that have found out! I know that I should be mad at the person who told other's that I know.. and I am. But I'm more mad at the pharmacist for breaking HIPPA and breaching my confidentiality!
    I did contact Walmart and received a phone call from the gen manager saying were sorry and they will ake disciplinary actions. However to me that is not good enough. Singel handedly that pharmacist has changed my life as I know/knew it! I'm off work because of the surgery but I'm now afraid to go back to work. I have so called friends and family that aren't even speaking to me! I feel Wal-Mart should be held accountable!

Does anyone know if I have a case against them?
    ashley0716 Posts: 121, Reputation: 12

Oct 17, 2008, 05:35 PM

If you have proof that the pharmacist actually did this, then yes, this is a HIPAA violation, and those laws apply to doctors, nurses, hospital personnel and pharmacists and their techs alike.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 05:37 PM

Yes it is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa Violation [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any violation if a supervisor insists on knowing what is wrong with an employee who has a medical condition/disability, and the employee feels awkward, especially when the subject is introduced in the company of another employee? She believes she should know what is wrong because she...

Violation of Hippa Law [ 3 Answers ]

I use to go to a Dr. and I left because I wanted a second opion and he was mad. I have also found out that he is talking to one of my coworkers about me. I know that is wrong and I want to know what I should do. He as violated the Hippa law. Thanks for any response.

HIPPA Violation [ 6 Answers ]

An emergency room nurse at our local hospital is also the foster mom for the two young children of my son's live-in girlfriend. The girlfriend accompanied my son during a recent visit to the ER for him to obtain treatment for an overdose of a prescription medication he "borrowed" from a...

Is this a HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I worked at a hospital as director of a department. To be able to download and access particular records in the department my password was used. Tow employees used the password and when I asked the IT department to allow me to change my password they refused since the program we were using to...

View more questions Search