Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 01:01 AM

No need to be in a hurry Clough as I won't be doing the skirting boards for a couple of weeks at least.

As for the carpet laying, I had a quick look at the link you provided and think it's probably outside my scope of abilities. I wouldn't have the patience or skill to cut the carpet to fit exact, I'm sure. Besides, I don't have any of the tools:

Row running knife
    Knee kicker
    Seaming iron
    Hot melt seaming tape
    Power stretcher
    Tackless strip
    Carpet padding
    Gripper edge
    Masonry nails

If I decide to lay a carpet, I'd definitely call in a professional. Thank you though for the thought as you're probably not wanting me to miss out on the opportunity of laying new carpet in the hallway.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 04:41 AM

The hallway is finished and looks good, Clough. I'm now on to the kitchen that I've started painting in a pale yellow which I like.

I might give the skirting boards a miss as it's turning into too big a job painting the whole house. There's the dining, lounge, kids rooms and laundry to do yet. If I did paint the skirting boards, I might go for a very pale grey tinged in blue. We'll see.

What's the best thing to use to get the odd bit of water based paint off woodwork? Turps is working okay... do you happen to know of anything better?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 02:24 PM

Oops! Or Goof-off are two products that will do the job for drips and painting outside of the edge of something. I like to keep a water-dampened rag with me when I'm painting so that I can wipe anything up right away rather than waiting until after it's dried.

If you're talking about really old paint from a previous paint job, then you might need to use a singe-edged razor blade or small chisel to scrape off the paint and then apply the Oops! Or Goof-off.

Oops! or Goof-off Paint Removal - Google Search

Pale yellow for the kitchen sounds great! Yellow has been probably the most favorite color to use in kitchens for many decades.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 02:31 PM

I know that we've previously talked about taking pictures. I do hope that you at least get one of those throw-away type cameras with a flash and do take some before and after pictures. You could then have them put on a CD and be able to post them here. You could also do the same thing by scanning images into the computer. I would love to see what you're doing!

For many years, I didn't take pictures of most of the work that I did. Now, I always take pictures. They make for great conversation and are things that I like to keep in a "brag" sort of photo album so I can show friends and potential customers examples of the work that I've done.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 04:36 PM

Oops and goof off sound brilliant, Clough. I'm not sure they're so well known... are they?

I do own a fairly good SLR camera. It's just that I haven't used it for a long time... maybe it's an inferiority complex lol. Or I'm just too busy to take photos. I like your idea though, so I'll get snapping and pass some on to you here for any suggestions you might have.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 04:48 PM

Oops! And Goof-off are products that can readily be found in the States. I don't know about in Australia, though.

I'm trying to refresh my memory about you. Aren't you also into the arts of some kind? I know that we've dialogued somewhere else on this site to some extent, but I can't quite remember where. Please forgive me for being forgetful!

That would be great to see some images here!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 05:50 PM

There isn't a lot about me to remember, Clough. I've enjoyed drawing since I was a child and as an adult, have always kept a sketch book around for when I'm in the mood for drawing. I'm no Rembrandt by any stretch of the imagination though, who is one of my favourite artists.

Rembrandt Bibliography
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Thanks!

I thought that's where I'd remembered you from was on one of the art threads.

Have you considered becoming artist on your walls in your home by putting up your own hand-drawn borders or something else?

I've seen it where people have done that, and it can be really cool!
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 06:27 PM

Wow, that's an awesome idea. Not sure where they would fit... hmm... Although, my daughter is a natural designer and is brilliant at decorating tables in pebbles and things. Her imagination is still free and uncritical, and naturally gifted. Maybe she could come up with something along those lines for her room. One drawing of mine is framed and is in the dining room. I wouldn't mind putting a light above it to show it off more.

You've got some great ideas Clough.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks!

There you go! The wheels of creative thinking are really starting to roll for you now!

Bathrooms and bedrooms are ideal places to add a personal, creative touch on the walls or even the ceilings.

I would like to see sometime, your drawing that you have hanging. If you've already posted an image of it on this site, please do direct me to it.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 06:56 PM
    By-the-way, Beethoven actually composed music on whatever he could find sometimes, like walls and shutters.

Just a thought...
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 07:08 PM

When you can see through to my son's room, he has pretty good taste. Being 18, he might be a bit old for it now, but his own composition along the window sill could be interesting...

I shouldn't get too excited, since there's a good chance I'm preparing the house for sale in a few months.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Have you done anything like that in your own home, Clough? Inscribed your music on the walls? :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 06:11 PM

The kitchen is now done, Clough and I'm ready to tackle the laundry next weekend.

Now that four main areas of the house are freshly painted, I'm beginning to see what a difference it makes. Especially the kitchen/family room where we spend a lot of our time.

Now wanting to paint the skirting boards and door frames as that will make a dramatic difference to the finish of the job. Still a few weeks away and still thinking about what colour to use...
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    have you done anything like that in your own home, Clough? Inscribed your music on the walls? :)
    No, not on my own walls. But, I have on the following thread. Just something simple to keep a young girl occupied and interested in what life has to offer.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/writin...ng-267729.html
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 01:35 AM
    Here's some music though, that I thought I'd scribble right on this thread!

Name:  Music on the Thread! - Use.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  186.4 KB
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    the kitchen is now done, Clough and I'm ready to tackle the laundry next weekend.

now that four main areas of the house are freshly painted, I'm beginning to see what a difference it makes. Especially the kitchen/family room where we spend a lot of our time.

Now wanting to paint the skirting boards and door frames as that will make a dramatic difference to the finish of the job. Still a few weeks away and still thinking about what colour to use.......
    I'm glad that you've gotten so much done! One thing that you might want to consider is to add clear plastic covers to corners of the walls that might get bumped and perhaps subsequently chipped.

New coats and colors of paint and the cleaning/preparation of a room for preparing to do that can make a world of difference!

If I haven't already mentioned it, painting of any trim is best to be done with a semi-gloss paint so that those surfaces can be washed if needed without damaging the paint.
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 02:04 AM
    Oops! I forgot to add my signature to my short, little composition! :eek:

Name:  Music on the Thread! - Use A.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  224.8 KB
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Oops! I forgot to add my signature to my short, little composition! :eek:

Name:  Music on the Thread! - Use A.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  224.8 KB
    That's so cool, Clough! I have no idea how you did it, but it looks great.

And I had actually read your exchange before with the young musical/poetic girl on the other thread. She's enjoy it, isn't she :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I'm glad that you've gotten so much done! One thing that you might want to consider is to add clear plastic covers to corners of the walls that might get bumped and perhaps subsequently chipped.

New coats and colors of paint and the cleaning/preparation of a room for preparing to do that can make a world of difference!

If I haven't already mentioned it, painting of any trim is best to be done with a semi-gloss paint so that those surfaces can be washed if needed without damaging the paint.

I'm not sure what you mean about clear plastic covers over the corners. I bought some plastic sheeting and a canvas floor cover to keep things clean while painting.

Semi-gloss would look much better and preferable to acrylic paint that I find very difficult to work with. So I have vivid white, off-white and pale yellow so far on the various walls... the doors will be two shades darker than the off-white. The skirting boards and door frames take up a lot of visual space, so I want to be careful about choosing the right colour. Too much of anything could overpower the effect, so something subtle would be better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a hallway require 2 cold air returns? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a bungalow style home. On the main floor, there is a hallway with 2 cold air returns located directly across from each other at floor level. I'm doing some renovations and I want to know if I can close one off or do I require both? Note - these are the only two cold air returns.

Bought two colour kits but accidentally switced colour releasers, does that matter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have dark brown to black hair, I just dyed hoping to get a lighter brown. My mistake was that I bought two colours,1) meduim golden brown and2) light brown, then I accidentally used the medium brown colour with the light brown colour releaser. I barely notice a difference. Did switching the...

Perplexing hallway leak [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a one-story ranch with the laundry hookups in the bathroom adjacent to the main hallway. On the opposite side of the hallway there is dampness in the carpet. This has been going on for some time and I'd like to have the carpet in the entire house replaced but not until I repair whatever...

Choosing Hair Colour! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay well here goes.. I want to dye my hair a different colour for going back to school! I just can;'t decide on what to do. Right now my hair is black with red highlights that are fading and I want to dye my hair a medium golden brown colour? I have a medium skin tone.. does that colour seem like...

Problem with Hallway Light Switches [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace my hall lights, from up and down toggles switches to the flat plate toggle. I have a switch at each end of the hallway. I purchased a Leviton switch that has 2 connectors and a green ground. The switches in my existing boxes have black, white, red and a ground. What do I need to...

View more questions Search