Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    You've gotta be the only guy on this thread who would say that making ACORN stay within the law is supressing the ACORN vote.
    Hello again, Gal:

Very good Republican spin, but no cigar for you...

While there are almost no examples in recent memory of serious fraud at the polls, Republicans have been pressing for sweeping voter purges in many states. They have also fought to make it harder to enroll new voters.

When voters die or move to a new address, or when duplicate registrations are found, a purge is necessary to uphold the integrity of the rolls. New registrations must also be properly screened so only eligible voters get added. The trouble is that these tasks generally occur in secret, with no chance for voters or their advocates to observe or protest when mistakes are made.

A number of states — including the battleground state of Florida — have adopted no match, no vote rules. Voters can be removed from the rolls if their names do not match a second list, such as a Social Security or driver's license database. But (like the U.S. mail) lists of this kind are notoriously mistake-filled, and one typo can cause a no match.

In Ohio, Republicans recently sued the secretary of state, demanding that she provide local officials with a dubious match list. As many as 200,000 new voters could have been blocked from casting ballots. The Supreme Court rejected the suit, but Republicans are still looking for ways to use the list on Election Day.

Like I said above, voter supression supports McCain. It IS simply a campaign ploy. I don't know why you're so indignant about it.

excon
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 23, 2008, 04:52 PM

I am indignant about campaign workers KNOWINGLY registering voters who are dead, from some other state, or multiple times.
    That is a crime, and I expect some of these people will be prosecuted, at least I hope so!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 02:12 AM

The NY Slimes Front Page Article Thursday reported that of the 1.3 million names ACORN has registered ;400,000 of them are fraudulent.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/us...s/24acorn.html
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The NY Slimes Front Page Article Thursday reported that of the 1.3 million names ACORN has registered ;400,000 of them are fraudulent.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/us...s/24acorn.html
    LOL, I just love the way ACORN always defends itself. “Everybody knows that when 1.3 million applications are submitted, not every single one of them gets on the rolls,” said Brian Kettenring, a spokesman for Acorn. “That’s common sense.”

I'd say it's common sense that if 30.8 percent of those they've registered were rejected and only 34.6 percent of their registrations were actually new voters out of their announced 1.3 million new voters, that ACORN has a serious problem.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 25, 2008, 12:49 PM

How would the MSM and the left view it if a GOP organization received federal funds, then participated in fraudulently registering Republican voters?

CNSNews.com - De-Fund ACORN, Republican Leader Insists
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Hello in:

I would feel outraged... Kind of like I do about the Republicans suppressing the vote. But, it's politics as usual. I don't loose any sleep over it.

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 25, 2008, 01:07 PM

Where is your outrage over Acorn?

Over Gore's attempt to suppress the military vote in FLA 2000?

EXAMINING THE VOTE; Lieberman Put Democrats In Retreat on Military Vote - New York Times
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 25, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    where is your outrage over Acorn?

over Gore's attempt to suppress the military vote in FLA 2000?

EXAMINING THE VOTE; Lieberman Put Democrats In Retreat on Military Vote - New York Times
    Ex seems to be the consummate liberal. Democrat fraud? YAWN.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 02:26 AM

It is happening again in another contested state

Military Prevented From Voting In Virginia | A Soldier's Perspective
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Hello tom:

WHAT is happening again?? I read the article. It doesn't say ANYTHING about votes being suppressed, or those bad Democrats... It just says the ballots do not conform with the law.

I think it's terrible, but it looks like it's a problem for the Virginia legislature. Besides, it's the Democrats who should be pissed about this. Of course, those boys are/were going to vote overwhelmingly Democratic.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

According to ACORN . [ 55 Answers ]

... Voter-registration can't be totally fraud-free. Voter-registration can't be totally fraud-free, group says - Cleveland.com This astonishing admission comes after the FBI raid in Nevada that Steve linked to in another posting . Tony Romo ,Terrell Owens get to vote twice it seems. ...

More SCOTUS decisions [ 24 Answers ]

Chief Justice Roberts said, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." Wasn't that refreshing? Clarence Thomas added, "What was wrong in 1954 cannot be right today... The plans before us base school assignment decisions on students'...

View more questions Search