Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deborah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2004, 10:17 PM
    Divorce
    My husband has filed for divorce and we've been separated since June, 2003. He's not provided any support for me or my three children. I can't afford an attorney. Any free resources available on what I need to do? I've responded to the suit, but he's filed for joint custody and my children do not want to live with him. I don't know what procedures to follow! Many thanks for your help.
    Heidi_Hogan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2004, 01:09 PM
    Divorce
    I was in a similar situation but I was the one to file for divorce. Main factors you should look at are
    1. Who made more money?
    2. Who spent the most time with the children?
    3. What lifestyle are you used to having?
    4. How old are the children?
    5. Do the kids have any emotional needs more met by one parent than the other?
    6. What are the grounds for the divorce?
    A lot of these questions are of utmost importance when counterfiling. If he will end up leaving the kids with daycare more often than being with them due to a job than you would, THAT MATTERS! Your kids need to feel loved and not feel abandoned through all of this. Most importantly, you must always refrain from negativity in the court room and in front of the children and keep their best interest at heart. The parent displaying the most compassion for the children's needs will reap the rewards 10 fold!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom needs a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My mother is trying to purchase a townhome and my mother and father have been separated for over 16 years now the mortgage company states that my father would have to sign at closing. My mother told them she has nothing to from him since 1991 when he left. The mortgage company said she needs to...

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce and it's been a year and a half and still no final decree has been signed. His wife and her lawyer has done everything in their power to stall the whole process. What I mean by that is she was acusing him of committing adultry, never turned in any evidience for...

Cause of Divorce? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have a very bad situation on my hands. See, I'm 13 and my parents MIGHT get a divorce because of me. See, I saw my mom doing somwthing that she shouldn't have been doing (making out with a friend of her and my dad's when she was drunk) and I told my dad because I was scared and confused. ...

Divorce-Who does it? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend lives in Iowa, has decided to divorce his wife. They are not contesting anything, want 50/50 with their two daughters and agree on everything. The question is does he have to pay an attorney $2000 to get the divorce or can he get the necissary papers and do it himself for around $300?

Just out of a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with a truly wonderful man for almost 2 years. When I met him he had more baggage than some airports however I was aware of this. I wouldn't have hung on through all his issues had he not shown me the kind of love women dream of. He and I have a very adult relationship. We got each other...

View more questions Search