Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimjewkes Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 03:18 PM
    The owner of the company I work for does not pay taxes
    He does not have a workers compensation policy.
    Payroll checks are not taxes, but we do charge customers sales tax.

I know I should be looking for a new job in case this company gets caught.
    He fired the accountant in June and no books or records have been kept since then.

I want to claim my wages, but I know I will not be given a w2 form.
    Will claiming my wages hurt my employer?
    I've never filed taxes without a w2 form. I'm so scared I will mess it up and get caught!

Also, what can I do to prove the time I had off (sick days, vacation days) that I was not paid in case I am audited?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 06:32 PM

Well do you want to risk you going to jail for not filing your taxes or do you want to worry about the employer?

You keep a copy of all of your checks, and know to the penny what you was paid.

First of course you hae a workers compenation policy, it is state law, the company may or may not have insurance though a private provider, but if not the state will require him to write the checks hisself.

Next what type of worker are you? If you are a 1099 worker, contract worker they don't hold taxes out of your pay, you are responsible for paying all for them.

The trouble with him not holding taxes out, if you are a real employee, they are suppose to pay matching taxes, @ 7.5 percent to match your payment. If they are not paying this, you will have to pay it yourself when you file your taxes. So be sure and keep back about 20 to 25 percent of your check for taxes each week.
    kimjewkes Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 10:26 AM

First off, I never said I was thinking about not paying my taxes. I'm not trying to protect my employer, I'm trying to protect my job.

I know for a fact my employer does not pay taxes and I'm worried about the company because that is where I get my income.

Will I really be responsible for paying what he does not match for my taxes?

I work for a very small company. I don't believe I am a contract worker, although I've never signed any paperwork saying I am an employee. My employer doesn't hold taxes from any of our checks (but most of our employees are illegal immigrants).

When I was hired here, I filled out the paperwork that I was necessary to fill out when you are hired somewhere. I attempted to make employee files for all of the employees.

My employer is doing wrong. He needs to be caught. I'm trying to find out if by filing my taxes he will get an audit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner owes back taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Do the back taxes have to paid before transferring property to another

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

401K taxes for spouse if owner dies [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to clarify a situational concern I have. I have heard that if a person has a 401K with a former employer and they pass away, the spouse will have to pay taxes on the disbursement as if it were a normal income check. Is this correct, and if so, would this also apply if the person lost...

Work for a company in FL but moving to GA [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I am a full time employee for a company based in Florida and I am in the process of moving to Georgia. I will be maintaining my full-time status with this company (working out of my home) and am wondering what either I or my employer has to do in order to change my status from a Florida...

View more questions Search