Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justinsnana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Working in NY , just moved to NJ in August
    I work in NY and just moved to NJ, should I have my W4 changed to withhold NJ State Tax or is that something that should've happened automatically from my employer?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 10:37 AM

Don't take a chance . Contact your payroll dept. you have to make sure they are witholding enough to satisfy the RobinHoods in both states.

I know... I work in Jersey and live in NY . NJ and Pa . Have a reciprocal income tax agreement (no commuter tax) but NY thinks it's a unique privilege to live here and does not have such an agreement. What will happen is that NY will collect the difference between your Jersey tax and what you would've paid had you been a NY resident .
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 12:43 PM

During the period you live in NJ, you will report your NY income on the NJ tax return. You will also claim credit for taxes paid to NY. So you will not have any NJ tax or very little tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
    I agree with MukatA.

There is little risk in withholding ZERO NJ tax, because the offset from the NJ credit for NY taxes paid will probably completely offset any NJ state income taxes owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cuba in August? [ 2 Answers ]

How is Cuba in August? What about the Dominican Republic? Is it a good/bad idea to visit the country in August? Anyone been there in August? Thank you all. :)

Moved to FL from NJ - still working for NJ employer [ 1 Answers ]

I am so confused! I moved to Florida in June 2007 but I am still working for the same New Jersey company that I worked for when I lived in NJ. I now work for this company out of my HOME office. This company does not have any offices in Florida and only has one location (in NJ). Since the...

August rush [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all Surely you've heard of/seen the movie August Rush, it came out in aussie cinema's not too long ago. Anyway, there's a song in it acompanied by guitar done by the character "arthur" the lyrics are "father, here me when i call your name i need you to answer me now father here i am weak...

Husband on L1 visa August 2005 [ 7 Answers ]

I am on H1-B for entire 2005. I got married in March 2005 and my husband came to US on 28th July 2005 (L1 visa). I am confused about how to file tax for 2005. 1) Can we file 1040 married filing jointly? Or do we have to file separately? That is I file 1040 and my husband files 1040NR? My...

View more questions Search